Director of Facilities is responsible for day to day operations of the Temple Emanu-El buildings and grounds. This position supervises the maintenance staff, banquet staff, internal and external housekeeping teams, all programs and event setup, as well as maintenance repair and preventative maintenance functions. It is of primary importance that the Director of Facilities to establish and provide an appropriate environment for members and guests to worship and celebrate in comfort.
The Director of Facilities oversees applicable maintenance contract specifications, bidding and review of contract terms and oversees all building and equipment replacement, repair and maintenance. This position is the staff liaison to the Facilities Committee and the Aesthetics Committee. The Director of Facilities assists the Temple Emanu-El cemetery manager, as needed, in the maintenance and operation of the Temple Cemetery and Mausoleum. This position coordinates with the Director of Security on matters related to security of the building. Additionally, the Director of Facilities supervises the Temple event coordinator who works with families and outside groups seeking to use Temple’s facilities for meetings or events.
The ideal candidate for this role should possess good communication skills, excellent organizational skills, broad knowledge of business functions, and project management experience. The Director of Facilities must understand the technical aspects of the property, support day to day business operations, ensure efficient operation of facilities, mitigate risk, and ensure that facilities meet the needs of congregants and staff.
Professional Requirements and Skills:
- General building maintenance knowledge including HVAC
- Experience supervising people
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Project management experience and skills
- Experience managing facilities
- Familiarity with computer systems for HVAC, lighting and security management
- Experience with Word, Excel, email and other computer applications
- Ability to lift, move or carry heavy items
Director of Facilities Responsibilities:
- Overseeing contractors
- Handling building maintenance, cleaning, and catering
- Providing site support
- Coordinating routine maintenance and repairs
- Managing waste disposal
- Budgeting and estimating costs
- Ensuring compliance with regulations and laws
Director of Facilities Requirements:
- Degree in Facilities Management, Engineering, or Property Management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management experience
- Good knowledge of regulations and laws
- Multitasking abilities
- Computer literacy
- Good problem-solving skills
- Be highly organized
- Good negotiating skills
1. Manage the Temple maintenance personnel and department to ensure that the building and equipment are clean, services and programs are setup as requested, staff are trained to operate and maintain mechanical systems, maintenance repairs are performed and a preventative maintenance program is operational for the efficient and effective use of the building.
2. Hire, train, coach, schedule and terminate Temple maintenance staff in accordance with Temple practice and policy.
3. Establish appropriate procedures to ensure the communication of all set-up requirements from clergy, staff, and committee representatives to applicable maintenance personnel. Ensure that all services, classes and meetings or other programs are set-up appropriately.
4. Manage the HVAC system to provide a satisfactory environment for all Temple members, guests, clergy, teachers and staff throughout the building.
5. Oversee the ordering and inventory of maintenance and kitchen supplies with the assistance of applicable maintenance personnel.
6. Ensures that all necessary licenses for equipment (elevators, boilers, fire systems) are up to date and necessary inspections made as needed.
7. Work with the Executive Director and support the Facilities and Infrastructure Committees in the preparation of the annual operating budget, the annual capital budget, hall or space rentals and capital improvement projects or repairs. This includes the preparation and presentation of the maintenance department operating budget and Temple’s capital budget.
8. Supervises and supports the Event Coordinator who works with Temple families and outside groups seeking to rent Temple spaces for life celebrations, meetings or lecture programs.
9. Work with the Executive Director and Cemetery Manager to assist with the maintenance, repair and operation of the Temple Emanu-El Cemetery and Mausoleum buildings and grounds.
10. Prepare and implement severe weather closing procedures. Ensure maintenance staff are trained on appropriate emergency practices and communications.
11. Perform other duties and functions as assigned by the Executive Director.
- To apply, please send both a cover letter and resume directly to email@example.com for consideration