The Vice President of Policy and Advocacy is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan to engage United Way’s network in efforts to increase voter participation and make positive changes to public policies, contributing to the advancement of the Aspire United 2030 goals. This position partners with the Community Impact department to develop tactics and community connections to advance this plan, and works with Marketing, Communications, and Resource Development to develop messaging, materials, events, and volunteer opportunities to engage donors, volunteers, and the general public in this work.
The VP of Policy and Advocacy has/will:
- An in-depth understanding of how local, state, and federal policies impact its Aspire United 2030 Goals, and how systemic racism effects access to education, income, health, and voting within our communities.
- Can synthesize complex information and provide guidance to internal and external partners on building relationships with elected officials, developing advocacy campaigns, and interpreting the political landscape.
- Builds extensive and trusted relationships with coalition partners, issue experts, impacted community members, nonprofit partners, lawmakers, interested advocates, agency staff, and other stakeholders and identify opportunities for bipartisan, cross-sector collaboration to strengthen public policy support and awareness of education, income, health and election administration strategies.
- Determine how United Way can best support efforts to increase voter turnout in low-voting communities, which will include (but is not limited to) hosting training to educate nonprofits and UWMD staff on how to integrate nonpartisan voter outreach strategies into existing programming.
- Create communication and engagement plan for United Way and its elected officials and their staff in the 4-county service area, including promotion of United Way’s programs and initiatives and invitations to volunteer and community events and Centennial activities.
- Recruit and train bipartisan volunteers from corporations and community groups to participate in meetings with policymakers, advocacy campaigns and/or informational sessions that drive our advocacy and civic engagement work.
- Draft content for presentations, website, emails, print material, etc. on United Way’s advocacy and civic engagement work.
- Attend and represent the organization at various community events, legislative meetings, as assigned.
- Preform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Educational/Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s in Social Work, Public Policy, Public Administration or related field, masters preferred
- At least 10 years of experience in community organizing, community engagement, advocacy campaigns, and government affairs
United Way of Metropolitan Dallas offers:
Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b, 457b retirement savings plans, AFLAC, Life & AD&D, STD, LTD, PTO, Parental Leave
Inspired to be a part of the change?
We invite you to apply: Careers - United Way of Metropolitan Dallas (unitedwaydallas.org)