The Vice President, Development owns the fundraising and volunteer activities at Goodwill Dallas. Beginning this year, the role will lead a comprehensive $50M campaign, called Goodwill: Now and Forever with support from the Goodwill leadership team and its well-connected volunteer leadership. The is a perfect fit for someone who is passionate about our mission of ‘changing lives, one job at a time’ and is eager to build out a donor-centered program of Development. A key ability will be to develop and cultivate authentic major donor relationships and help match our donors’ desire to make a lasting difference in the community with Goodwill’s abilities to do so. In sum, Goodwill Industries of Dallas, Inc. is looking for the right person who wants to make a once-in-a-generation impact on the organization and leave a lasting legacy to the community we serve.
Goodwill Dallas seeks to create an inclusive and dynamic team environment where people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives can thrive and have a positive impact towards achieving our mission. This job posting generally captures the key duties and qualifications for the role but is not considered
to be all inclusive. If this opportunity and the Goodwill Dallas mission speak to you, we encourage you to apply.
Overview of Goodwill Industries of Dallas, Inc.
Goodwill Industries of Dallas, Inc. exists to help persons with disabilities and other barriers to employment get jobs so that each can experience dignity, purpose, and self-sufficiency. Goodwill does this by helping people build skills, find jobs and reach their goals in life through a donated goods business, workforce development and other social enterprise models. Here are our core beliefs:
- We believe each person has unique abilities and can make a meaningful contribution in life.
- We believe jobs are transformational to individual lives and communities.
- We believe in a hand up, not a hand out.
Goodwill prides itself on an engaging and welcoming work environment, where we demonstrate our core values of Respect, Commitment, Improvement, and Integrity on a daily basis.
Background on Fundraising at Goodwill
Goodwill Industries of Dallas, Inc. has a solid foundation of fundraising and a loyal group of major donors. Since 2015, Goodwill has raised the vast majority of its philanthropic funds (over $11M in total) through an annual Fall Event called The Lunch. This event raises $1.5M each year for Goodwill’s workforce development services. While this event has been wildly successful and much anticipated each year, the net amount raised has been stubbornly flat and continues to rely heavily on the support of a very few donors.
In 2023, Goodwill Industries of Dallas, Inc. turns 100 years old. To celebrate this important milestone and to prepare Goodwill for its next 100 years, Goodwill of Dallas, Inc. is planning to embark upon a large multi-year Centennial Capital Campaign starting in late 2022. By 2030, Goodwill has a vision to quadruple the number of job placements it provides for individuals facing barriers to employment – taking the total from 1,500 per year to over 6,000!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Own, develop & execute fundraising campaigns & donor relations initiatives.
- Outline a comprehensive annual development plan for Goodwill from THE LUNCH, seasonal appeals, events, and other fundraising initiatives.
- Lead a capital campaign that celebrates Goodwill’s 100-year celebration.
- Lead THE LUNCH strategy and execution.
- Cultivate donor relationships through visits volunteer opportunities & other awareness-building activities.
- Demonstrate an ability to connect with Goodwill’s mission emotionally and share that in compelling ways.
- Solicit donors with appropriate & regular asks.
- Demonstrate an ability to organize, prioritize, and systematically cultivate between 100-150 donor relationships – including individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Create and execute an annual donor engagement plan.
- Qualify donors.
- Create individual goals for each donor.
- Create a plan for each donor.
- Work with program and marketing department to secure appropriate project information.
- Create offers and asks.
- Create monthly reports that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
- Steward donor relationships through timely & relevant gratitude
- Own volunteer strategy
- Lead, manage, retain and hold the team accountable.
Qualifications & Experience:
- College Degree BS/BA degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated and progressive experience in fundraising/ development.
- Proven success generating revenue in major arenas, including individual, corporate, foundation, and capital campaign solicitation; direct marketing; special events fundraising; and planned giving.
- Strong analytical skills, relationship-building and excellent writing skills.
- Knowledge and practice of the ethical standards within the fundraising industry.
- Ability to work effectively with donors, staff, board, volunteers and various committees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, balance multiple projects, work under pressure to meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience writing successful proposals, case for supports/case statements and articulating messages to various audiences.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office desktop applications.
- Knowledge of relational databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Experience directing the creation of and writing for organizational newsletters, annual reports and other communication pieces.
- Ability to think strategically and to complete projects independently within a team-based environment.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends to support events and volunteer activities.
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please complete an application a www.goodwilldallas.org/Work at Goodwill.