Essential Functions of the Position
- General Ledger Accountant
- Assist in various month-end close processes, such as A/P and A/R reconciliations.
- Conduct research, answer questions and resolve staff and vendor problems or complaints; interact with and resolve day-to-day processing issues.
- Monitor assigned general accounting functions to ensure compliance with accounting principles and applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare a variety of financial and statistical reports and statements.
- Maintain grant data and expenditures for grant reporting.
- Assist in preparing schedules and support for annual financial audit.
- Accounts Payable
- Receive, review, code, scan, and record invoices and other payment/reimbursement requests in accounting software.
- Obtain approval to pay as needed according to Approval Matrix.
- Prepare payable checks for signature and assemble signed checks and payable vouchers for mailing.
- Maintain vendor records in accounting software, which includes obtaining their W-9 and applicable general liability insurance certificate.
- Maintain online access to vendor accounts.
- Reconcile A/P journal to General Ledger monthly; analyze discrepancies and outstanding balances.
- Recognize and research past due/unpaid invoices, including late fees and interest.
- Organize and maintain current and archived vendor files.
- Assist and train other personnel with correct coding of invoices, credit card charges and reimbursement requests.
- Accounts Receivable:
- Receive, review, code, scan, and record daily deposits from all locations in accounting software.
- Deposit payments by check remotely to bank account daily.
- Deposit incoming cash to bank in person at least once per week.
- Safeguard negotiable assets by securing in locked safe until deposited.
- Recognize and research discrepancies between reported daily income and actual receipts.
- Supervise daily receipt processing by other individuals/departments, including training as needed.
- Monitor status & condition of cash registers at all locations; train personnel on equipment as needed.
- Seek opportunities to expand proficiency with all software required for positions and understanding of accounting principals and procedures.
- Maintain organized workspace, including scanning & filing accounting records.
- Protect organization's value by guarding confidentiality of accounting information.
- Comply with employee work policies as presented in Employee Handbook.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities Needed to Perform the Essential Functions of this Position
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in accounting preferred, high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Three (3) years of progressive experience in an accounting environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General knowledge of computers, Windows software, and peripherals.
- Proficiency with Blackbaud, Financial Edge, NXT or similar accounting software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word.
- Patient, courteous, and able to perform well under stressful conditions.
- Organized, detail-oriented, with strong self-review habits.
- Exceptional time management skills with minimal supervision.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Adapt to changing work demands and procedures.
- Knowledge and support of Humane Society of North Texas mission, policies, and protocols.
- Create and sustain a positive team-building attitude with other employees and volunteers.
- Represent the Humane Society of North Texas in a professional manner in all situations with the public, volunteers, and staff.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential fucntions.
- This position is regularly required to use hands to fingers, handle, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Entering text or data into a computer or other machine by means of a traditional keyboard. Traditional keyboard refers to a panel of keys used as the primary input device on a computer, typographic machine or 10-key numeric keypad.
- The position holder must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds without assistance, up to 80 pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
- While performing the duties of this job this position may be exposed to animal odors or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The individual performing this job may be required to work more than 8 hours in a d ay or 40 hours in a week.
Please go to www.hsnt.org/careers click on view all positions and apply to the Staff Accountant position