Located on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas, the George W. Bush Presidential Center is a nonpartisan institution advancing the timeless values of freedom, opportunity, accountability, and compassion. The Bush Center comprises the George W. Bush Presidential Museum and the George W. Bush Institute, a solution-oriented policy organization focused on ensuring opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free societies through policy solutions and public engagement. The Bush Center also houses the George W. Bush Presidential Library, operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, which provides access to official documents and artifacts from the George W. Bush Administration. Learn more about the Bush Center at bushcenter.org.
The Bush Center is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team as the Senior Manager of Museum Programs and Operations. Working closely with the Director, George W. Bush Presidential Museum and other senior staff members, you will play a crucial role in overseeing and leading the development, implementation, and evaluation of all museum programs and operations. This position requires a strong background in management, exceptional organizational and leadership skills. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the primary driver of programming from the Bush Museum including, but not limited to, special exhibitions, education programming, public programming and other similar activities.
- Assist the Director, George W. Bush Presidential Museum in developing and implementing Museum business strategies, policies, and procedures to drive attendance, enhance efficiency, safety, and visitor satisfaction.
- Oversee day-to-day Museum operations including reports, budget, and resource management.
- Maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with Museum staff and volunteer docents, as well as staff within the Bush Center and National Archives and Records Administration.
- Manage the planning process, development, and implementation of Museum exhibitions and programs, ensuring the highest quality and engaging visitor experiences.
- Oversee artifact collection management activities including cataloging, preservation monitoring, and loan documentation.
- Develop and maintain community relationships to support all facets of the Museum’s community engagement.
- Provide leadership support to Museum Operations Manager, volunteer docent team, and guest services team members.
- Develop and manage school field trip logistics, education programming, policies, and procedures in collaboration with guest services and volunteer docent team.
- Coordinate the Museum membership program logistics and related services to increase member acquisition and retention.
- Monitor visitor feedback and evaluate visitor experiences, proposing recommendations for improvement.
- Foster a culture of teamwork, innovation, and excellence across the Museum team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in museum leadership and management.
- Possess a thorough, working knowledge of office applications, point of sales systems, museum catalog management software, and project management tools.
- Knowledge of museum best practices, standards, and trends in the museum field.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent management, decision making and communication skills.
- Flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as required.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush Presidential Center.
Additionally, the qualified candidate will:
- Possess the ability to thrive in a fast-paced operational environment and exemplify leadership and composure under pressure.
- Ability to problem solve, make and implement decisions quickly and soundly.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service, interpersonal, verbal and writing skills in dealing with visitors and staff of all levels.
- Be able to maintain regular, dependable attendance in the building.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Senior Program Manager, Museum Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director, George W. Bush Presidential Museum
Department: Finance & Operations
To apply, click here!