Rooted in the guiding principles of President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush, the George W. Bush Presidential Center engages communities in the United States and around the world by cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. The Bush Center is home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, which is operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, and the George W. Bush Institute, the non-partisan, public-policy arm of the Bush Center. The Bush Center is located on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and also includes a 15-acre park, a full-service restaurant, Café 43, and a museum store.
Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the George W. Bush Institute is an action-oriented, nonpartisan policy organization with the mission of cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. It raises current and thought-provoking issues and builds programs to address the challenges facing our nation and our world. The work of the Bush Institute is inspired by the principles that guided the Bushes in public life: education is the foundation of a successful life; freedom is a universal human desire; free enterprise is the engine of economic prosperity; and every human life is precious.
The Senior Accountant will assist with the financial reporting, accounting responsibilities and administration of the day-to-day operations of the accounting function; apply proper accounting treatment; follow appropriate internal controls; assist in the accounting for complex reconciliations; analyze and interpret financial results and perform special projects as required. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Accounting Operations and General Responsibilities
- Prepare and review various general ledger entries and reconciliations
- Prepare timely monthly close analysis for review with accounting and management
- Support in the financial analysis as it relates to short term and long-range financial planning
- Prepare schedules as requested during external audit and federal tax return process
- Administration of vendor records, payment processing and credit card program. Including but not limited to monthly credit card expense analysis, weekly payment analysis and annual 1099 reporting
Team and Relationship Management
- Serve as a point of contact for internal staff for assistance with expense coding, budgeting, grant reporting and other questions as needed
- Serve as intermediary between accounting department and subledger owners.
- Communicate with third party vendor and prepare reports as needed to fulfill state reporting requirements
- Communicate with banking and investment partners for wires and other transactions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; CPA or Candidate preferred.
- Minimum of three years of accounting/finance experience.
- Strong data entry skills with meticulous attention to details and timelines.
- Advanced Excel Worksheet skills.
- Strong technical skills; the ability to learn particular accounting software/programs.
- Experience with Blackbaud/Financial Edge products, Concur, and/or Centage/Planning Maestro preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush Presidential Center.
Additionally, the qualified applicant will possess (a/an):
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, standards and regulations, particularly within a non-profit setting
- The ability to Identify and communicate key risks and opportunities
- The ability to multi-process on an on-going basis.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the highest level of integrity and confidentiality.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Senior Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Department: Finance & Operations