Congregation Shearith Israel is a warm, welcoming, and dynamic Conservative synagogue with approximately 1000 families located in the heart of Preston Hollow area of Dallas, Texas. At Shearith, we strive to be a caring, inclusive, sacred community that is committed to providing pathways to enrich our members Jewish lives, elevate their souls and embrace their Judaism.
We are seeking an experienced full-time assistant to support our Ritual Department in developing relationships and outreach to families, planning programs, supporting clergy, and handling administrative duties.
Qualified applicants will: foster teamwork and build relationships; have experience managing multiple tasks and projects; possess strong organizational and communication skills; maintain confidentiality; demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office products; and engage congregants and colleagues in a professional manner. Other ongoing responsibilities include:
Calendaring, Appointments and Scheduling
- Serve as first contact for members, visitors, and callers to clergy office
- Manage schedules using Outlook and other calendar management systems
- Coordinate meetings and appointments
Correspondence and Communication
- Write and maintain correspondence with privacy and diplomacy
- Create weekly emails and other communications to keep families up to date and informed
- Help create or coordinate as applicable information being prepared for the website, Facebook, videos, or photo sessions
- Coordinate clergy interaction and provide administrative support to congregants for their religious lifecycle events, including Bris, Baby Naming, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, weddings, funerals, shivas, and conversions
- Prepare baby naming certificate for the family and obtain data Rabbi needs for any ceremony
- Prepare birth checklist of information
- Coordinate with clergy in planning and executing select programs, services, and classes
- Coordinate babysitter needs for Family Center for both regular services and High Holy Days
- Work during Rosh Hashanah Day 1, Day 2, Kol Nidre, and Yom Kippur
- Work with clergy on outreach to families, developing relationships and making families feel connected to Shearith
- Maintain and update all family lists, including family members, addresses, and emails
- Serve as liaison with committees, as needed
- Ensure that menus and setups for programs, services and classes are communicated and executed correctly
- Prepare, buy, and create materials as needed for programs, dinners, and events
- Support the development of programs for the synagogue, including scheduling, calendaring, ordering supplies and promoting programs within the synagogue communications and community publications
Purchase orders and Invoices
- Prepare purchase order for any supplies needed and any meetings or programs planned that have a cost associated with them
- Prepare invoices/check requests for any needed reimbursements, donations, expenditures
- Cover the reception desk on rotation
- Assist others on the staff support team, as needed and when available
- Interface and cross-train with other staff, including other clergy and administration
- Liaison with committees and prepare meeting agendas, as needed
At least 3 years of prior administrative support required. The ideal candidate will have a proven history of maintaining high level of confidentiality. Must have strong written and oral skills and excellent judgment. Excellent Word and mail merge skills, Excel, Outlook, and working knowledge of Constant Contact. Bachelor's Degree preferred. A friendly presence, professionalism, team spirit, and a positive, caring attitude are essential. Some familiarity with Jewish tradition preferred. Competitive salary and benefits offered.
Please forward resume and cover letter with job title in the subject line to Kyle Queal, Chief Operating Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org.