Located on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas, the George W. Bush Presidential Center is a nonpartisan institution advancing the timeless values of freedom, opportunity, accountability, and compassion. The Bush Center is comprised of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and the George W. Bush Institute, a solution-oriented policy organization focused on ensuring opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free societies at home and abroad. Through policy solutions and public engagement programs, the Bush Center promotes ideas and conversations that reinforce the promise of America.
The Regional Director is responsible for the development strategy and activities in an assigned region, and for other general fundraising activities for the George W. Bush Presidential Center and the George W. Bush Institute. The Regional Director manages a regional portfolio of Bush Center donors and prospects with the goal of meaningful, sustained, and active financial support of the George W. Bush Presidential Center. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Regional Fundraising Activities
- Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward regional donors and prospects.
- Establish working relationships with key leadership and volunteers in the Bush Center national fundraising network.
- Effectively communicate the mission of the Bush Center and the Bush Institute to donors and prospects.
- Serve as primary point of contact for regional inquiries.
- Implement and oversee fundraising for special projects, not limited to temporary exhibits and other donor-initiated efforts.
- Oversee planned giving fundraising efforts in a specified region.
- Serve as point of contact and overseeing collaborative development efforts with Bush Center partners.
- Recommend and facilitate endowment fundraising opportunities.
- Communicate frequently and systematically with regional donors and prospects.
- Meet with donors and prospects regularly.
- Track all contacts with donors and prospects and related development activities in Bush Center database.
- Work with the Data Operations team to ensure accurate and timely acknowledgment of contributions and production of event follow-up letters, interest letters, and special case donor letters.
- Review and respond to large quantities of data.
Strategy and Prospecting Responsibilities
- Identify strategies to renew and increase giving from current donors.
- Create fundraising strategies designed to acquire new donors.
- Review, update, and refresh donor/prospect portfolio as appropriate.
- Develop, plan, design and implement various fundraising programs.
- Provide input on strategy for donors and prospects in other regions, as needed.
- Conduct research on prospects and donors.
General Development Activities
- Coordinate specific fundraising initiatives (not tied to specific geographic regions) as assigned.
- Assist with production of general Bush Center fundraising meetings and events as needed.
- Generate internal documents as appropriate.
- Complete other tasks and duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of fundraising experience in professional, non-profit environment.
- Proficiency with various technologies, software and programs including but not limited to the usage of a computer, copier, cellular phone, Microsoft Office Suite and database programs. Experience with Raiser’s Edge, or comparable fundraising database, is preferred.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of the George W. Bush Presidential Center.
Additionally, the candidate will:
- Demonstrate clear and engaging communicative and collaborative skills as this position will have to speak, write, present, and interact with various team members in a dynamic organizational environment in addition to various donors and stakeholders.
- Provide prompt, professional interaction with high level internal and external customers.
- Perform with a highly driven, results-oriented work ethic and provide metrics as requested.
- Travel throughout region, as necessary.
- Demonstrate the ability to exercise diplomacy and discernment.
- Will be trusted to handle sensitive information.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Regional Director, Donor Relations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Division: Donor Relations