Rooted in the guiding principles of President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush, the George W. Bush Presidential Center engages communities in the United States and around the world by cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. The Bush Center is home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, which is operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, and the George W. Bush Institute, the non-partisan, public-policy arm of the Bush Center. The Bush Center is located on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and also includes a 15-acre park, a full-service restaurant, Café 43, and a museum store.
Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the George W. Bush Institute is an action-oriented, nonpartisan policy organization with the mission of cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. It raises current and thought-provoking issues and builds programs to address the challenges facing our nation and our world. The work of the Bush Institute is inspired by the principles that guided the Bushes in public life: education is the foundation of a successful life; freedom is a universal human desire; free enterprise is the engine of economic prosperity; and every human life is precious.
The Manager, Marketing is responsible for connecting the Bush Center to new audiences by supporting and executing the Bush Center’s public engagement, including communications, advertising and marketing efforts. They will define, plan, schedule, budget, and execute multiple complex projects from concept to completion, ensuring success by meeting timelines and clearly communicating with audiences along the course of the project. Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Communications, Marketing, and Advertising
- Support the Bush Center, working to plan, execute, and measure advertising and marketing initiatives for public engagement, which includes public programming, the George W. Bush Presidential Museum, the Bush Center Store, Café 43, 43 Club, memberships, and publication/podcast subscriptions. Specifically, the successful candidate will:
- Develop marketing and advertising strategies that introduces the Bush Center to new and relevant audiences, growing our base of constituents
- Plan, budget, and support marketing and advertising plans for the Bush Center, including regular analysis of performance
- Manage the Google AdWords account, making real-time adjustments to maximize performance for in-focus initiatives
- Generate messaging, write press releases, and manage media strategy and outreach for the Bush Center’s public engagement
- Work with colleagues in the Bush Institute to strategize and execute advertising activities as relevant for Bush Institute policy content and programming
Community and Partnerships
- Ideate and coordinate community relations activities on behalf of the Bush Center’s public engagement, including building new partnerships with organizations in the North Texas region
- Expand the reach of the Bush Center in North Texas, with a particular focus on inclusivity
- Schedule, coordinate, and strategize podcast interviews and production in collaboration with stakeholders throughout the organization
- Support the creation of new exhibits at the Bush Presidential Museum
- Regularly ensure that the Bush Center’s executives and development team have the resources they need to optimally execute their goals, including updating key Power Point presentations, generating collateral, etc.
- Regularly measure and report on the Bush Center’s communications efforts.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the work of the Bush Center and the Bush Institute, organizational goals and intended audiences, and expectations of results and successes.
- Provide logistics support to the communications team, particularly around public engagement initiatives.
- Provide assistance for special projects and other assignments as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 2-5 years of experience in marketing communications.
- Successful track record in a fast-paced entrepreneurial organization.
- Advance knowledge of all Microsoft applications, including PowerPoint and Excel.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of the Bush Center.
Additionally, the qualified candidate will:
- Demonstrate superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills, attention to detail and follow-up.
- Be able to multitask and balance demands of multiple priorities.
- Have experience interacting with executive stakeholders, influencers and investors.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and high level of professional ethics.
- Be able to thrive in a team-based environment.
- Have a make-it-happen spirit and a collaborative working style.
- Exhibit political savvy and discernment related to confidentiality.
- Maintain the ability to manage on-going projects, including planning, doing and tracking results.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Manager, Marketing & Community Relations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director, Digital Platforms & Communications
Department: Finance & Operations