Located on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas, The George W. Bush Presidential Center is a nonpartisan institution advancing the timeless values of freedom, opportunity, accountability, and compassion. The Bush Center is comprised of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and the George W. Bush Institute, a solution-oriented policy organization focused on ensuring opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free societies at home and abroad. Through policy solutions and public engagement programs, the Bush Center promotes ideas and conversations that reinforce the promise of America. Learn more at bushcenter.org.
The Accounting Manager will assist with the financial reporting, accounting responsibilities and administration of the day-to-day operations of the accounting function; apply proper accounting treatment; follow appropriate internal controls; assist in the accounting for complex reconciliations; analyze and interpret financial results and perform special projects as required. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and/or review various general ledger entries and reconciliations as part of managing month-end including but not limited to various revenue streams, investments, fixed assets, payroll and prepaids
- Assist in delivering accurate financial results by performing a comprehensive analysis of key expense line items.
- Prepare and distribute key month-end reporting to business partners
- Coordinate and participate in monthly expense reviews with business partners to ensure financial targets are being achieved
- Work closely with Facilities and Operations teams to manage capital expenditures and apply appropriate accounting treatment
- Articulate financial concepts to non-finance business partners in a clear and concise manner
- Assist in preparation of materials for committee and board meetings
- Maintain all long-range financial models
- Develop financial forecasts that accurately incorporate key business drivers and initiatives; Analyze and interpret variances to prior forecast, budget, and prior year. Explain key variances, business trends, and performance drivers
- Serve as a point of contact for internal staff for assistance with expense coding, budgeting, grant reporting and other questions as needed
- Communicate with banking and investment partners for wires and other transactions
- Assist Controller with preparation of audit, tax, and other internal and external reporting requirements
- Assist Controller with supervision of staff accountant
- Aid with ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; CPA or Candidate preferred.
- Minimum of five years of accounting/finance experience.
- Strong data entry skills with meticulous attention to details and timelines.
- Strong analysis and modeling skills
- Budgeting, forecasting skills
- Advanced Excel Worksheet skills
- Strong technical skills; the ability to learn particular accounting software/programs
- Experience with Blackbaud/Financial Edge products, Concur, and/or Centage/Planning Maestro preferred
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush Presidential Center
Additionally, the qualified applicant will possess (a/an):
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, standards and regulations, particularly within a non-profit setting
- The ability to multi-process on an on-going basis
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the highest level of integrity and confidentiality
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Finance & Accounting Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Controller