The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has been recognized as one of the most beautiful display gardens in America, and has 17 major gardens, and 29 smaller ones and 2 signature gardens throughout its 66 acres. These are A Tasteful Place, a fruit, herb and vegetable teaching garden and The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden, an 8-acre outdoor science museum teaching life and earth science principles in an engaging way. As the number one rated visitor destination in Dallas by Trip Advisor, it is known for 5 seasonal color change outs, enabling the garden to have year round color. The garden has a budget of $22 million, average visitation of over a million guests a year and a membership base of over 43,000.
Responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks, with certifications in one or more fields (e.g. carpentry, electrical, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing, etc.). Visually inspects areas for mechanical operation, structural soundness and safety hazards; issues reports and coordinates completion of operation or facility requests or for items arising from visual inspections. Take a hands-on approach to facility needs, proactively addressing repair issues that can be handled in-house and utilizing outside contractors when needed for larger repairs or those requiring certifications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Visually inspects the areas for mechanical operation, structural soundness and safety hazards with the goal being the guest experience; issues reports and coordinates completion of work orders for items arising from visual inspections or as assigned by Senior Manager
- Respond to emergency situations, i.e. weather, power outages, plumbing or electrical issues in an appropriate and timely manner; resolve minor problems. On call and on-site availability for all emergencies or inclement weather conditions;
- Responsible for performing routine maintenance tasks. Performance of building maintenance tasks in one or more fields (e.g. carpentry, electrical, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing, etc.). Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Handle minor repairs without the need of outside contractor assistance. Take a hands-on approach to facility needs, utilizing outside contractors when needed for larger repairs or those requiring certifications.
- Monitor and schedule all routine facility maintenance, including PM contracts, according to budget and with approval from supervisor:
- Review and log all facility maintenance, keeping records for tracking and appropriate account coding and expense control
- Proactively address repair issues and seek appropriate approvals for significant repair needs
- Schedule and monitor contractors and services as requested by senior facility manager; assure that services provided are within budget; seek approval for additional expenses as needed
- Liaise with vendors to ensure quality control, safety, and adherence to the vendor conduct code
- Monitor HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems for efficiency and performance
- Performs a daily walk through of all Campus and current worksite areas
- Ensure that public rules and regulations are enforced according to established guidelines and garden etiquette for both staff and the public. Promptly and appropriately address public needs/emergencies.
- Work with senior facility manager in budget preparation, monitoring and obtaining maintenance/supply bids for budgeting purposes; timely process invoices with appropriate expense coding
- Maintains positive relationship with all departments and address issues involving work orders as relevant; schedules approved work orders for successful and unobtrusive completion and assist as necessary; keep director or relevant staff person informed of progress/issues
- Completes HVAC water filter cleaning and changing
- Responds to fire panel calls and manages the permits and maintenance of the fire suppression systems at RMCAG and the parking garage
- Coordinates PM on parking garage detention tank, sump pumps, HVAC and elevators
- During major events, assist the Vice President, Director, other managers, Weekend Operations Supervisor and the Public Events staff as needed in the execution of the event
- Assure the Arboretum is ready for the public and appropriately respond as needed to public needs, i.e. dissatisfied visitors, first aid/emergency issues, or other public/guest issues; prepare a weekend report of significant activity for review and appropriate follow up
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree desired. Is this necessary? This assumes the position in a professional one but we need someone that will be hands-on and not administrative.
- 4+ years in facility management preferred, with 2 years’ supervisory experience.
- Minimum of apprentice hours in at least one trade discipline. HVAC, plumbing, electrical preferred
- Licensing- Structural pest control, HVAC, back-flow prevention, OSHA, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of built environment and maintenance best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics
- Ability to produce reports, position documents
- Ability to scope, create, and manage preventive maintenance schedules
- Experience as vendor liaison: communication to workers and service management
- Experience project engineering: Scope and schedule management
- Experience with budget management
- Office (Excel focus)/SharePoint/Teams
- Basic CAD skills a plus
- 24/7 on call availability. Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Understanding of facility management
- Flexible hours, including night/weekends to respond to emergencies
- Lift up to 30 pounds, climb, walk, bend, twist, and stand in all weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in mechanical plumbing and electrical repair desired
- Manage multiple tasks with attention to detail and accuracy; professional work ethic.
- Ability to organize, delegate and oversee work flow; deadline driven
- Problem analysis and problem solving skills; good independent judgment skills.
- Flexible, proactive versus reactive skills, with positive problem solution skills
- Self-starter; Initiative
Dallas Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. Dallas Arboretum does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Dallas Arboretum and Botanic Garden complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
Please go to www.dallasarboretum.org/careers to apply for this position. Local candidates only, there is no relocation for this position.