Union Coffee, a Dallas non-profit coffee shop launched by the United Methodist Church, is hiring a Director of Operations to help support, sustain, and grow the organization. This role will report to the Executive Director & Lead Pastor and will cultivate Union’s ecosystem to increase operational efficiency, yield higher mission-related outcomes, and develop strategic plans for future growth. The ideal candidate will be fun to work with while demonstrating serious administrative chops. They will supervise a staff with diverse talents, responsibilities, and skill levels while also recruiting and managing volunteers. This role will also participate in the development and execution of the strategic plans to move Union forward. Interested candidates should apply with a cover letter and resume sent to email@example.com.
- Serve as the store manager for the coffee program. Responsibilities will include setting appropriate sales goals and ensuring that coffee shop operations are within industry standards of excellence and financial sustainability.
- Scheduling, inventory management, training, facility management, code compliance, balancing the safe, etc.
- Supervise store barista team, ensuring that Union’s coffee program consistently demonstrates all of Union’s core values.
- Work with Union Board treasurer and bookkeeping services to ensure timely payment of all bills and invoices and record keeping and accounting is managed according to industry and financial best practices.
- Responsible for processing payroll.
- Ensure appropriate financial and operational reporting to Union’s Board as well as the North Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Support development efforts by leading and working alongside volunteers to coordinate fundraising initiatives and events with the Executive Director, including event logistics, tracking fundraising results and donor information, and assisting with North Texas Giving Day.
- Cultivation and conservation of donor, volunteer, and community relationships
- Actively develop and implement strategies to increase coffee operation profitability to sustain Union’s ministry and work in the community, including the development of additional revenue-generating opportunities
- Work with the Executive Director to develop practices that will quantify the success of Union’s mission.
- Tracking data around coffee shop customers and attendance at Union events and any cross-attendance
- Collecting and sharing impact stories both internally and externally to tell Union’s story
- Develop a manner to quantify and demonstrate how Union members live out the core values, serve in Union leadership roles, and apply skills developed through Union in the greater community
- Help to ensure that all Union communications, marketing, and social media campaigns include graphic design elements that actively demonstrate Union’s story
- Play a significant role in developing and executing strategic plans for Union’s growth in the coming years, including opening and operating additional Union locations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s level education preferred with an MBA is a plus. Willing to consider experience instead of education.
- Experience supervising staff
- Passion for Union’s mission and ability to articulate that mission and embody its core values in a compelling way
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks through strong task and time management effectively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to both recruit and manage volunteers
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization, as well as with the church, the Board, and the greater community
- A commitment to value innovation and mission fulfillment over a fear of failure
- Comfort with people who try to follow Jesus but also curse and don’t think those things are mutually exclusive
- Experience with developing and executing strategic plans
- Ability to understand, develop, and demonstrate cultural intelligence in a diverse setting
- Capacity to actively promote an open and affirming approach towards people who identify on the LGBTQ+ spectrum
- A strong commitment to ensuring Union is racially equitable in all organizational aspects
- Background in leadership development is a strong plus
- Experience in non-profit management or church leadership
- Experience in restaurant or coffee management is strongly preferred
Please email a resume and cover letter to Katie@uniondallas.org