Wilkinson Center transforms the lives of Dallas families by providing pathways to self-sufficiency with dignity and respect.
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Wilkinson Center’s fundraising including the annual fund, capital campaign, future planned giving and major gift programs, and fundraising events. The Director works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising efforts, and oversees the Development team, made up of three additional staff members.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for raising $2-$3M
- Meet prospective donors and prospects on a continual basis to establish effective communication with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Work collaboratively with the special events team on fundraising special events
- Translate organizational goals into executable plans with accountable staff and board members by defining tasks, milestones, and priorities for programs or projects.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with Executive Director, Board of Directors, Program Director and Director of Finance and Administration.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university required. At least 8 years of related fundraising experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers toward common goals.
- Have the desire and drive to spend time in the greater Dallas community to build external relationships and initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Highly organized with strong, proven “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self- confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Proactive, productive team contributor with a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Appreciation and respect for principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments and take responsibility for outcomes.
- Persistent, results oriented and driven to succeed.
- Inspired by challenging individual and team fundraising goals.
- Demonstrated initiative, drive and a resourceful, data-driven work ethic.
- Creative, innovative, flexible, with excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- The ability to work independently, manage multiple projects effectively and maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality in a team-oriented, complex environment.
- Write clearly and concisely, using proper grammar, vocabulary, and appropriate tone for message or audience and speak in a clear, articulate manner.
- Ability to read, analyze, and apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions in written or oral form. Ability to set priorities. Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel, stakeholders, and supporters.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook). Ability to work with donor database programs (DonorPerfect a plus). Ability to use basic office equipment. The ability to learn and use other software as necessary.
Criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in the United States and provide work authorization.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The environment requires close proximity to other employees, frequent interruptions, extended periods of time viewing a computer screen, and noise levels from moderate to high. There may be activity from other employees of a distracting nature.
Modification of Duties and Essential Functions
Wilkinson Center retains the right to change and/or modify the duties and essential functions of this position at any time. This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com