DIRECTOR OF ANNUAL GIVING
Why UT Southwestern
For more than 75 years, UT Southwestern Medical Center has been healing, discovering, and educating health professionals as one of the nation’s top academic medical centers. With nearly 21,000 employees strong, the UT Southwestern community is diverse and inspired to succeed. As the only academic medical center in North Texas, we seek challenges and opportunities for growth, and we are dedicated to making a difference locally and abroad.
As the region’s only full-service academic medical center and an internationally renowned center for medical research and education, with a faculty boasting six Nobel Prize winners, UT Southwestern Medical Center is setting a national standard for innovative and sophisticated care. Whether we’re dealing with the most complex challenges or the everyday clinical needs of patients and families, our goal is to bring patient care and the patient experience to a higher level.
About the UTSW Office of Development and Alumni Relations
We invite you to join the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team at UT Southwestern where you can bring your best ideas to life. We are driven by UT Southwestern’s mission to promote health and a healthy society that enables individuals to achieve their full potential.
You can advance your career in DAR’s fast-paced, collaborative environment. We seek culture builders, team players who take their work seriously while having fun. Here we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles and practices, and we promote a healthy work-life balance and stimulating culture where our team members can flourish.
Our expanding team of advancement professionals:
- Work collaboratively with notable and accomplished faculty, leaders, and staff from across the U.S. and around the world
- Raise more than $200 million annually from leading philanthropists, foundations, and corporations in DFW and beyond
- Are guided by a recently refreshed DAR Strategic Plan
- Enjoy a flexible hybrid in-office, work-from-home schedule
- Thrive as lifelong learners through exciting opportunities for training and growth
The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for developing and leading the annual philanthropic strategy for UT Southwestern Medical Center’s annual giving and grateful patient programs, with the purpose of growing donor participation, philanthropic revenue and engaging UT Southwestern’s constituent base. Reporting to and working directly with the Senior Director of Engagement, the Director of Annual Giving will play a vital role in deepening connection to the UT Southwestern mission through philanthropy with special emphasis on patient and staff/faculty giving. The Director also will work closely with the advancement services, alumni relations, development communications, and gift officer teams to develop a comprehensive and effective annual giving strategy. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional leadership qualities, be mission centered, have an open and creative problem-solving approach, strong relationship building skills, and strong understanding of and experience with building and supporting diverse and inclusive teams and constituents. An understanding of, and leadership experience in, annual giving is required. Experience developing patient-centered giving programs, multi-channel giving campaigns, giving days, and crowdfunding strongly preferred.
- Responsible for the successful management of a multifaceted annual giving program, including responsibility for meeting annual dollar and donor participation goals as set jointly by the Director and the Senior Director of Engagement.
2. Devises effective strategies and tracking mechanisms to retain current donors, enlist new donors, and upgrade donors.
3. Provides guidance for direct mail programs to ensure the largest possible number of annual donors to enhance the alumni donor participation rate.
4. Working together with the Director of Alumni Relations, oversees alumni reunion giving programs involving volunteer leadership and peer solicitation for class gifts commemorating milestone and cluster reunions. Determines the efficacy of reunion task forces, coordinating volunteer management efforts between gift officers and alumni engagement staff.
5. Develops a comprehensive Grateful Patient Program strategy from entry-level gifts to the cultivation and solicitation of major and principal gifts by members of the UT Southwestern Development team.
6. In collaboration with the prospect research team, identifies and manages a large pool of prospective donors for distribution to gift officers.
7. Plans, develops, and implements training initiatives for faculty physicians, nurses, and other allied health professionals, as well as development staff, who are directly involved in patient relations tied to a successful culture of grateful patient and family fundraising.
8. Develops systems for tracking the impact of the grateful patient and family efforts on fundraising revenue.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelors’ degree with a minimum of eight (8) years of demonstrated successful experience in annual giving. Experience working in an academic medical center, health care, or higher education is required.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information.
For COVID-19 vaccine information, applicants should visit Work and Learn on Campus: COVID-19 – UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit HR Resources for Employees – UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas