The Director of Alumni Relations is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating alumni programs and services that support the university’s strategic goal and encourage engagement in the life of the university. The Director will also serve as a liaison between the Alumni Association Board of Directors and the academic and administrative leadership, and will partner with Advancement colleagues to encourage alumni giving.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and evaluate alumni and student programs with the purpose of creating awareness and increasing alumni engagement.
- Manage and evaluate major alumni relations programs and events including Alumni Medal Dinner, Homecoming, Alumni Reunion.
- Plan a robust variety of alumni events each year to engage a diverse alumni population, creatively anticipating needs of the population such as Wesleyan5K, Wine Walk, alumni subgroup gatherings, hosting online events, etc.
- Coordinate alumni relations participation in Student Life programs such as Orientation, Grad Finale, President’s Picnic, Grad Gift initiative, and Tag Day in an effort to create awareness within the student body.
- Coordinate alumni relations participation in Departmental programs and events that involve alumni including some athletic events.
- Develop volunteer opportunities for alumni to engage and connect with students and other alumni thru networking, mentoring, speaking, and other means.
- Maintain regular schedule of communication with alumni.
- Manage and evaluate an active Alumni Relations social media presence, including the Social Rams program, to further engage alumni.
- Gather news and alumni information for use in alumni communications.
- Coordinate with Communications in the production of the Wesleyan Magazine, providing ideas and content for alumni ads, stories, class notes, etc. Provide distribution lists for magazines to mail and send electronically.
- Oversee production and distribution of monthly alumni e-newsletter, The Ram’s Horn, GPNA alumni newsletter, and other alumni e-communications.
- Serve as a liaison between Alumni Relations and various groups which have a relation to alumni.
- Serve as principal liaison to the Alumni Board and to all alumni to keep them connected to each other and the university.
- Collaborate with Admissions on recruitment efforts as they relate to alumni.
- Collaborate with Career Services for opportunities to connect with alumni who are seeking internships, positions or employment.
- Collaborate with deans, department heads, and Athletics in relation to opportunities for alumni to volunteer and interact with students.
- Responsible for administrative functions of Alumni Relations.
- Supervise the Alumni Communications Coordinator, Alumni Events Coordinator, and student employee positions.
- Manage the Office of Alumni Relations’ budget.
- Oversee the Alumni Board, Alumni Association Restricted Account, and Alumni Scholarship accounts.
- Coordinate with Database Manager to ensure alumni data accuracy.
- Coordinate with fundraising team to develop and secure alumni sponsorship opportunities.
- Implement policies and procedures for operation of Alumni Relations that adheres to best practices within this field of Advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Valid and current Texas driver’s license with favorable driving record to comply with university policy.
- Minimum of five years of experience in related field required
- Experience within a university strongly preferred.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s fundraising software: Raiser’s Edge, NXT, NetCommunity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficiency with an integrated administrative system and current computer software programs.
- Ability to demonstrate a cooperative attitude while working with a diverse student population.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple task while maintaining a high attention for detail.
- Excellent organizational skills to work productively & efficiently to meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work individually and within a team environment.
- Ability to adhere to university & departmental policies and procedures.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and office atmosphere.
- Ability to demonstrate and provide strong customer service.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to current and prospective students and university employees.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to have excellent communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to be discrete in handling confidential matters, while complying with FERPA regulations.
- Ability to adhere to University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability for extensive travel. This is expected to be around Tarrant County and out-of- area destinations as dictated by recruitment demands using personal transportation.
- Ability to work evening and weekend duties as required by the position and the department.
- Ability to complete all physical tasks as needed.
You may apply for this position on the Texas Wesleyan University careers page.