Job Title: Director of Adult Education and Engagement
Department: Education & Engagement
Reports to: Senior Director of Education and Engagement
Hours: 40 hours/week (including some evenings and weekends)
The Director of Adult Education and Engagement is an integral member of the Education and Engagement team and an active partner with other Temple professionals, clergy,
lay leaders and members. This position reports to the Senior Director of Education and Engagement. In partnership with lay leader committees, this person is responsible for visioning, creating, and producing diverse learning and cultural experiences for our members. This position cultivates and manages all congregant engagement within our adult learning programs and classes, holiday celebrations, and Israel education and advocacy.
Professional Requirements and Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, talent for working with and developing member engagement and leadership
- Strong organizational skills including project management and event planning; capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and moving projects from inception to project planning to implementation
- Develop and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with lay leaders, clergy, and all staff members
- Knowledge of Judaism, Jewish education, and Jewish practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook
- Oversee, manage, and implement adult education opportunities, including but not limited to ongoing classes, visiting scholars and guest speakers, and parent education.
- Assist the Senior Director of Education and Engagement in drafting a holistic vision for adult education based on Temple’s core values and priorities that integrate into congregational life and demographics as a whole.
- Work with lay committees and clergy advisors on the visioning, planning, and executing of all adult education offerings.
- Working with the YL+E (Youth Learning + Engagement) staff to vision, plan, and execute appropriate parent education opportunities.
- Build relationships with our learners, helping them to connect with and engage more deeply in Jewish learning.
- Remain informed about the national pulse of Jewish learning within the Reform movement and beyond.
- Maintain budget for adult learning programs.
- Oversee and manage all congregational holiday celebrations, collaborating with appropriate clergy, staff, and lay leaders.
- Collaborate with volunteer committees, clergy advisors and appropriate staff to vision, plan and implement all holiday celebrations throughout the year.
- Create leadership teams for holiday celebrations in partnership with lay leaders and provide professional support for all observances and celebrations.
- Engage the congregation in the full spectrum of ritual, spiritual, educational, and cultural aspects of the holidays.
- Create and implement a vision for our congregations’ and members’ connection to the State of Israel.
- Oversee Israel programming and engagement, ensuring integration in general Temple programming, worship, holidays, and bringing in relevant speakers.
- Work with Jewish Agency Community Shlichah to help her design and implement Israel education and engagement in the congregation.
- Work with third-party Israel organizations to ensure the diversity of voices is represented in Israel programming and appropriate partnerships are nurtured.
- Work with Communications team, Executive Director, and Clergy on any congregational communications related to Israel.
- Manage logistics for congregational Israel trips, working with assigned clergy, travel agency, and potential travelers to create opportunities for travel every 18 months, and including pre- and post-trip educational and engagement opportunities.
- Perform other duties as requested.
General Information about Education & Engagement Team Members:
The work of education and engagement is the primary function of all staff members, clergy, and lay leadership at Temple as we strive to help every Temple member and prospective member develop a connection between other congregants, friends, family, Jewish community, Jewish people, the world, and God. Staff will help connect members with aspects of synagogue life that meet their spiritual and communal needs through our core values of Prayer, Learning, Israel, Social Justice, and Community. Members of the Engagement & Education Team are partners with clergy, lay leadership, and each other. We value each other’s opinions, respect each other’s time, and pitch in during crunch times. Together we strive to make Temple a place of sacred encounters.
Engagement & Education Team Members Share Responsibility For:
Shabbat Worship –
- Staffing of Shabbat services is distributed and shared among members of Temple staff. Work with appropriate staff and clergy to support Shabbat worship when agreed upon with your supervisor.
Leadership & Relationship Cultivation –
- Communicate and interact regularly with other teams and a wide array of members to build relationships and engage individuals in congregational life and leadership responsibilities.
- Coordinate with lay leaders, clergy, and staff to set goals in your areas of responsibility and translate them into action.
- Contribute toward the identification and cultivation of future Temple leaders.
Website & Communications –
- Utilize Temple and community communication and marketing tools to maximize access to Temple programming including coordination with partner organizations.
- Maintain engagement opportunities and other pertinent information on the Temple website.
Please send resumes to email@example.com