JOB DESCRIPTION: DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Location: BIG THOUGHT HEADQUARTERS/DALLAS
Reports to: CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Big Thought is on the move! We are headed to our North Star:
“All Youth in Marginalized Communities
are equipped to imagine and create their best lives and world.”
What we do – we CREATE GREAT in our employees and most importantly in the youth we serve!
Your talent matters whether it’s at our headquarters or at our school sites – we need your talent, commitment, and a heartfelt belief that every youth deserves the “good stuff” in life skills, mentoring and education regardless of their background.
Big Thought is focused on its purpose. We get “stuff” done; however, we are not a “stuffy” kind of place to work.
Why Big Thought: Join us and explore your purpose! We offer hybrid work schedules, personal days off, growth opportunities and pay slightly above non-profit market rates!
Bring your positive attitude, commitment, critical thinking, work ethic and professional maturity and join us on our journey to our NORTH STAR!
Learn more about Big Thought at www.bigthought.org.
Now, read about this opportunity that might be a great fit for you!
About the Role:
The Development Officer will establish new and strengthen existing partnerships with individual and foundation donors in the North Texas region. With Chief of Development and development team, this individual will grow and manage a portfolio of philanthropic supporters and prospects who power Big Thought’s mission and vision.
About Ideal Candidate:
The best candidate for this role is an exceptional communicator with robust organizational skills and high degree of comfort in a fast-paced environment. Personable, creative, detail-oriented and a talented architect of resources will perform well in this role.
What the Role Entails:
- Develop and implement strategies for multi-faceted engagement of individuals and foundations in the mission of Big Thought
- Manage and steward a portfolio of existing donors
- Focus on maximizing donor giving to align with Big Thought’s growth and goals needs
- Develop and cultivate a portfolio of prospective donors through research, outreach, and strategic communications
- Conduct meetings and prepare materials and proposals
- Work closely with the Development and Marketing teams to ensure messaging for donor stewardship is aligned with the needs of annual and major donors
- Identify new, creative opportunities to add value for stakeholders and deepen engagement in our mission
- Infuse inclusion and equity both internally and externally
- Exercise a high level of EQ (Emotional Intelligence)
- Be accountable to personal goals, strategies, and metrics.
- Demonstrate and promote a climate of engagement, creativity, teamwork, and humility that is essential to working in a diverse, inclusive, youth and community serving organization.
- Two-three years’ experience
- Progressive experience in fundraising and philanthropy, wealth management, and relationship management
- Demonstrated ability to move donor up in giving level preferred
- Previous work with key philanthropic partners in North Texas region preferred
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build relationships with internal constituencies
Physical Expectations (not an exhaustive list):
Big Thought jobs are hands on and can be physically demanding. To perform the duties of these roles successfully, you may regularly be required to: sit, stand, or stare at computer screen for long periods of time; participate in external activities; use various office equipment, some manual; work in environment with loud sounds, multiple distractions, and interruptions; be exposed to extreme hot or cold temperatures on occasion; maintain emotional control during stressful situations.
BIG THOUGHT ASPIRES TO BE A WORKPLACE OF INCLUSION & EQUITY. WE VISUALIZE A WORKPLACE THAT PROVIDES AN EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE. WE BELIEVE A BASELINE REQUIREMENT TO ACHIEVE OUR VISION IS EVERYONE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT – REGARDLESS THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Big Thought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Employees of Big Thought are expected to participate in mission driven activities, meetings, committees, etc. BT is based on a team environment and openness to always “lend a hand” as appropriate to another employee.
All employees are required to adhere to BT policies and procedures. All employees may expect to perform duties as assigned. In addition, all employees may be assigned “other” duties in the spirit of teamwork.
NOTE: This posting is not an employment agreement or contract. The CEO and/or designee has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to https://www.bigthought.org/careers/. Scroll down to the section entitled "I'm interested in" and click on down arrow. Select Full-Time Opportunities and click on position title.