Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Assistant plays a vital role in the day-to-day operations and success of the fundraising program at The Dallas Opera. The position directly supports the department’s revenue goals by providing project and administrative support for the team.
Specific duties include:
- Draft and update acknowledgement letters, pledge reminders, and other donor correspondence and communication materials
- Process and promptly acknowledge gifts for all campaigns and special events
- Process monthly pledge reminders and donor credit card billing
- Serve as the department’s database coordinator and meticulously update Tessitura records based on contacts with donors and prospects as requested by development team
- Process invoices, check requests, expense reports, and serve as liaison to the finance department
- Maintain development department expense budget
- Update donor recognition pages in performance programs and other recognition channels
- Maintain department calendar and coordinate team meetings
- Assist development team with special events
- Provide general administrative support to Director of Development and others as needed
- Coordinate activities closely with other members of the Development Team
- Other duties as assigned
Traits and Characteristics
- Detail oriented, organized, and accurate
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Aptitude for multitasking, prioritizing, attention to detail, and managing time in a fast-paced environment which often presents competing priorities
- Strong project management and organizational skills; accepts responsibility for quality, accuracy, and timeliness of assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to handle sensitive, confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Creative team player with customer service mindset, collaborative spirit, and proven ability to build productive working relationships internally and externally
- Ability to work some nights and weekends during performance season, as needed
- Knowledge of the art form and an understanding of, or willingness to learn about, the Texas performing arts landscape
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and collaborating in a Microsoft 365 environment
- Knowledge of Tessitura preferred
Compensation Competitive salary
Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, vacation time, no-cost parking, and professional development opportunities to increase knowledge base and employee retention
Education Bachelor’s degree preferred
Location Dallas, Texas
The Dallas Opera values diversity in the workplace and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment where employees are treated with dignity and respect. The Dallas Opera is an equal opportunity employer and maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. This position will remain open until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates has been identified. Applications from populations underrepresented in the arts are strongly encouraged to apply.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to only apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in The Dallas Opera and what you hope to bring to this role.
To apply, please send a cover letter no longer than two pages and resume to email@example.com, using the subject line “Development Assistant.” Please send Word or PDF file only.
No phone calls please.