Title: Development Assistant
Reports to: Senior Director, Major Gifts and Membership
Hours: 40 hours/week in the office; some evening/weekend hours for special events
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Three weeks paid vacation per year, plus office holidays. This position does not include health benefits.
Timing: This position is open and immediately available.
The Development Assistant is responsible for supporting the fundraising tasks of Friends of the Katy Trail. The Trail is community-funded, and we raise money through membership funds, corporate partnerships, annual gifts, the 5K fundraiser, the sale of naming opportunities, grants, event revenue, and capital campaigns. The Development Assistant will have the opportunity to contribute fundraising ideas and pursue them and to take the lead on specialized fundraising initiatives.
The Development Assistant will be a key member of the FKT staff and will make important contributions to the Katy Trail. There will be many opportunities to learn and grow in the position, meet interesting and dynamic people, and be a part of fun and exciting Katy Trail events.
The office is located at 3102 Maple Avenue, Dallas, TX.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge
- Ability to make independent decisions on a daily basis, addressing the best way to handle specific tasks and challenges
- Skilled in organization and prioritization; attentive to detail and responsive
- Excellence in written and verbal communications; a stickler for correct spelling, grammar, and double-checking words and numbers for accuracy
- Positive, can-do attitude and team player
- College degree
- Event planning experience a plus
- Development or office management experience a plus
- Track incoming donations and create weekly report of gifts for the team
- Add and update donation and donor information in Raiser’s Edge each week
- Pull reports from Raiser’s Edge for the Directors as needed
- Maintain an accurate and regularly updated mailing list
- Draft for review and send member and other donor thank you/ confirmation of benefits/tax information letters each month
- Assist with management of the Development and Membership Committees, attend committee meetings, and write committee minutes
- Help develop ideas, wording, and photos for social media posts and e-blasts related to donors
- Help create donation materials, such as donor opportunity documents, online and mailed appeal letters, and annual reports; draft donor recognition documents and signs; prepare folders of materials for donor meetings
- Assist with the delivery of corporate donor benefits and track the delivery of benefits to ensure corporate partnerships run smoothly
- Create and update donor prospect lists in special areas such as individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- Track pending donor payments, draft donor invoices, and assist with payment communications with donors
- Coordinate donor events such as membership socials and donor parties
- Assist in grants research, writing, and follow-up
- Manage arrangements for “tabling” on the Trail to promote membership and attend tabling events
- Manage the solicitation of Picnic Partners (restaurants) for the Katy 5K and the sale of Snowflakes on the Trail in December
- Conduct outreach to company prospects for tabling on the Trail to promote products and services
- Run general errands related to donors, such as delivering gifts and materials
- Assist with the Katy 5K as part of the staff
- Assist with office tasks, including answering phone, picking up mail, and replying to general office emails
- Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: Development Assistant. Cover letter must include salary expectations.
The Katy Trail is a treasured Dallas greenspace and one of the most important public spaces and destinations in the city. Since 1997, the mission of Friends of the Katy Trail has been to maintain, enhance, and advocate for the Katy Trail as the premier trail for recreation, wellness, and alternative transportation in the City of Dallas. In 2022, Friends of the Katy Trail will celebrate 25 years of managing the Trail for the benefit of Dallas citizens and visitors.
This is an exciting time to join Friends of the Katy Trail. The pandemic has shown the essential role the Katy Trail plays in the mental and physical health of Dallas, and the Trail now has 1.5 million visits per year. In 2022, we plan to expand our outreach to the community as well as our new Katy Trail Art initiative; continue to grow membership, corporate, and other support; hold another successful Katy 5K; and more.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject: Development Assistant. Cover letter must include salary expectations.