Design & Development Manager
FLSA Status: non-exempt
Job Status: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Reports To: Director of Development
Work Schedule: Generally 40 hrs. per week, Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:30pm but flexible schedule according to demand/need.
Work Location: In-Person, Dallas, Texas
Positions Supervised: None
About Catch Up & Read
Since 2009, Catch Up & Read has been on a mission to equip children to read on grade level by the end of 3rd grade so they can graduate from high school and break the generational cycle of poverty. Our focus is to equip teachers with evidence-based literacy practices that give 1st-3rd grade children from underserved communities the reading foundation they need to succeed in school and life. Catch Up & Read currently works with 20 Title I elementary schools in Dallas County, training over 150 teachers and providing teacher-directed tutoring for approximately 750 1st-3rd grade students.
Every week we train a cohort of classroom teachers with the skills they need to provide students with the highest caliber of research-based classroom instruction. We are different because of our investment in teachers–we give them deep professional development throughout the year and pay them stipends to stay afterschool to tutor children which gives more income to teachers and better outcomes for students. We are also the only after-school program that provides tutoring in both English and Spanish. Our model has the capacity to reach large numbers of children and provide lasting improvement to public schools. We believe in the power of literacy to transform lives and communities.
Catch Up & Read is a mission-based organization that believes every person should have the educational foundation needed to pursue their potential. We share these values:
- Commitment to Excellence. Together, with all our students, parents and teachers, we are committed to working hard to achieve the highest standards in reading and teaching excellence.
- Continuous Learning. We are always seeking to know and deliver best practices in our field.
- Confidence. We strive for our children to become strong readers, our teachers to become strong teachers, and for their confidence to radiate.
- Collaboration. We work as a diverse team alongside best-in-class educators to grow all our students.
- Celebration. We celebrate small wins and big accomplishments.
The Design and Development Manager will play a pivotal role in spearheading the design and publication efforts of Catch Up & Read, while also assisting the Director of Development with fundraising activities, including grant writing and donor management. This role requires an individual who can seamlessly transition between inspiring writing, design responsibilities, development tasks, creating impactful collateral for the organization, and ensuring that donor relationships are nurtured.
- Design & Publication:
- Design and update inspiring and compelling collateral, handouts, and other print and digital materials to ensure cohesive branding and messaging.
- Manage and maintain website and social media content, ensuring up-to-date and relevant information.
- Work with Adobe Suite, specifically Photoshop and InDesign, to create, edit, and modify publications, including PDFs.
- Write, design and publish email communications using platforms like Constant Contact and MailChimp, integrating design and development messaging.
- Provide support to the Development and Programs teams with graphic production tasks.
- Maintain consistency in design execution while working within brand guidelines.
- Development and Writing:
- Assist with grant writing, research, and pipeline management.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with foundations, corporate donors, and individual donors.
- Ensure timely submission of grant applications and reports in collaboration with the Director of Development.
- Writing, proofing, and printing fundraising communications.
- Aid in setting annual fundraising projections, goals, and strategies.
- Manage and maintain the donor database in DonorPerfect.
Education, Experience & Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree.
- Experience: 3-5 years of experience in development, design, or marketing/communications. Production Artist (or equivalent) with design and/or layout skills.
- Skills and abilities:
- Highly skilled in written and oral communication.
- Strong project management skills.
- Creative thinker with a keen eye for design.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Experience in grant writing or the non-profit sector is advantageous. Knowledge/experience with content creation, writing or general communications
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn on the job and be a self-starter
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
- Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft applications, Donor Perfect, MailChimp, Adobe Suite (specifically Photoshop and InDesign), Canva, Constant Contact, and willing to adapt to new software and programs.
Must pass background check and maintain valid driver’s license and car insurance.
- Lift/Carry 10 lbs
- Push/Pull 12 lbs
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate.
- Application deadline is November 26, 2023
- Salary will be $60,000 with ½ of medical insurance paid by employer.
- Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to David Schaefers directly at email@example.com.
- Candidates chosen for the first round of interviews will be asked to complete screening questions and a writing sample, that will take an hour (or less) to complete.