Under the direct supervision of the Manager of School-Age Programs, the Day Camp Leader is responsible for working directly with children and play an integral role in the development of building strong character values in youth. At all times, the staff is representative of the philosophy, mission, and goal of Vogel Alcove and its camping program. Staff must strive to work cooperatively with the Manager of School-Age Programs, the Sr. Director of Community Programming, and fellow employees to achieve the goals and objectives of the Camp Vogel.
This is a temporary summer position to be performed outdoors for a minimum of 5 – 6 hours, sometimes up to full day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accomplish and/or assist in all functions related to the smooth running of the Camp Vogel summer program.
- Must possess some experience working with children, maintain excellent communication skills and sustain a positive attitude.
- Be prepared to work with an assigned group of 8-10 campers between the ages of 5-13 and maintain the responsibility of the group at all times.
- Ability to provide a fun and engaging experience to campers, while also providing innovative programming for assigned groups during camp time.
- Will be responsive to camper’s needs and whenever possible involve the group in decision-making.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all campers.
- Will take responsibility for the proper use, care, and storage of all camp equipment and supplies.
- Maintain the integrity of our camp areas by practicing daily cleanliness.
- Will follow the programs scheduled activities.
- Will be responsible for maintaining discipline in assigned group, as well as other campers as needed.
- Will review and understand all emergency drills and be prepared to implement them.
- Will be responsible for groups on field trips and follow field trip policies.
- Assist in implementation of themes for each session.
- Will be prepared to discuss with parents any experience a child has at camp.
- Will maintain a neat appearance daily.
- Must wear the Vogel Alcove always staff t-shirt during work hours.
- Will attend parent meetings as scheduled.
- Will report any accident to the Manager and Director as soon as possible and complete a written incident report.
- Will report any equipment problems or needs to the Manager.
- Will be available for all staff meeting and training as scheduled.
- Will assist the Manager as needed.
- Will be able to cover a group of children as needed in case of staff shortage.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Will closely supervise a group of campers in all scheduled activities in camp. Must be alert to children’s activities to recognize potential hazards and accidents. Such supervision will consist of visual and auditory awareness, as well as a pattern of circulation among the children.
- Will be completely responsible for the safety and well-being of each child and staff in the camp; must quickly move to injured or ill children or staff initiate first aid procedures. Must be able to transport (pick up or carry) children weighing up to 50 pounds in case of emergency.
At least 18 years of age.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with children ages 5-13 in an organized program.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Child development, education, or recreation course work preferred.
- Have the physical strength and stamina to work with children energetically.
- Function in a varied work environment indoors and outdoors.
- Reliable, punctual, resourceful, self-initiated, follows through on task.
- Must be an example of good moral behavior.
- Must be motivated to interact with staff and children.
- Basic First Aid and CPR Certification current or obtain as soon as possible.
- Must be Covid-19 vaccinated.
- Must complete Pre-Service Training provided by the Director and Manager before camp begins.
Vogel Alcove offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and a great working environment. Qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter with salary history to HR@vogelalcove.org.