Are you a self-starter, multi-tasker and hands-on controller and possess the ability to work independently? Come join us!
Alcuin School is looking for a Controller who meets the following criteria:
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller serves as the director of accounting and oversees the day-to-day operations of accounting and payroll for the school, insuring their validity, completeness, and accuracy, and serves to facilitate the segregation of duties of the Business Office. Serves as the primary backup to the CFO and the Senior Accounting Manager and assists with compensation and benefits administration.
High level of decision-making regarding day-to-day operations of accounting and payroll. Works independently. Works with leadership to build and sustain fiduciarily sound accounting practices.
- Develops and maintains up-to-date policies and procedures for the Business Office in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer
- Processes receipts, deposits, payments, adjustments, etc. into the accounting system accurately and efficiently
- Reconciles accounts, subledgers, banking and investment statements
- Maintains General Ledger and all subsidiary ledgers using Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP)
- Assigns duties within Business Office for year-end audit. Prepares schedules as requested and monitors due dates to stay on schedule during audit. Serves as the primary contact for external auditors
- Manages the Financial Assistance program and serves as lead on the Financial Aid Committee
- Communicates with Alcuin families regarding past due tuition and escalates issues when needed
- Reviews Accounts Payable coding for accuracy
- Assists 3rd party companies in the timely filing of all required federal, state, and local returns and/or schedules (IRS 990, Form 5500, etc.)
- Supervises the payroll process for all W-2 employees and 1099 Independent Contractors. Reconciles the register of the 3rd party payroll provider to the payroll subledger and GL
- Proactive in implementing accounting/financial controls
- Monitors cash flow, cash positions, and requirements
- Assists Chief Financial Officer in carrying out the goals and objectives of the Business Office
- Educates the Alcuin School community, including staff and parents, regarding accounting processes, controls, compliance requirements and liability issues/concerns
- Presents to the Board of Trustees in the absence of the CFO or as requested by the CFO or Head of School
- Attends school functions and meetings as outlined in the Employee Handbook, employment contract or as required
- Supervises children during carpool as needed
- Other tasks as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer or Head of School to assure the smooth operation of the Business Office
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to provide documents verifying authorization to work in the U.S.
- Must pass Criminal Background Checks, reference checks and Drug Testing
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least 5-years accounting experience with demonstrated advancement in responsibilities
- Working knowledge of GAAP
- High degree of proficiency with 3rd party payroll provider reporting (Paycom, ADP, etc.)
- High degree of proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products, and familiarity with comprehensive accounting software systems
- Ability to organize complex sets of information and present ideas and numbers clearly (written and verbal)
- Attention to detail and organizational skills are critical
- Ability to interact and communicate appropriately and professionally with parents, students, and colleagues
- Designation as a Certified Public Accountant or possessing an advanced degree
- Not-for-Profit experience
- Experience with the Blackbaud suite of non-profit accounting and fundraising products
Full time faculty and staff at Alcuin are provided with the following benefits:
- High deductible Health Plan (HDHP)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Tuition Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Basic Life/AD&D Plan
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Plan
- 403b Plan
- Long Term Care (LTC) Plan
- Legal Shield
- Pay is based on experience and is competitive with Independent Schools in the Dallas, Texas, area.
- Schedule: Generally, Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. There may be some evening or weekend work. Holidays, Spring Break off unless work is required for a project, audit, etc.
- Occasionally lift classroom supplies/equipment weighing up to 20 lbs
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, stoop, reach for extended periods of time daily
- Ability to perform repetitive physical tasks such as at a computer keyboard
- Works in standard office conditions and climates
- Works outdoors in various weather supervising children at carpool
ABOUT ALCUIN SCHOOL
Alcuin School, one of the largest accredited Montessori schools in the U. S., along with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programs, provides an ideal learning environment that guides and nurtures the full development of the child from 18 months to 18 years of age.
Alcuin School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including color, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees, and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES CAN SUBMIT A COVER PAGE AND RESUME TO: