The Controller will support the Senior Director of Finance (CFO) on the accounting and financial reporting functions, as well as working closely with the accounting team and other stakeholders in various departments. This position requires a high level of initiative, attention to detail, confidentiality and independent decision making. The accounting office is small and collegial. Willingness to fully participate in a team and work with others on specific projects will be a key attribute of the successful candidate, as will a love of learning.
The Controller is responsible for the management and integrity of the organization’s financial records by managing and monitoring the day-to-day finance and accounting operations, ensuring strong internal controls and effective transaction processing routines. The Controller will be coordinating the accounting and auditing functions, including monthly financial reporting, reconciliations, and variance analysis. The Controller assists in the development of budgets, operational projections, and multi-year forecasts, in addition to other special reports that may be needed.
The Controller will interact with other stake holders including employees, members, and parents as needed.
Taking the lead position on general accounting operations, including managing the general ledger and overseeing functions of member / tuition billing, cash receipts, accounts payable, fund accounting, ensuring timely closure and reconciliation of accounts, and accurate and timely financial information including but not limited to:
- Coordinating the preparation of monthly financial statements, including bank reconciliations, variance analyses, fund accounting, and dashboard reports, as needed
- Annual Fund, Capital Campaign, and restricted gift tracking, including reconciliation with the development office and maintain pledge receivable schedule
- Oversee accounting for the endowment and maintain schedules for performance. Maintain net asset schedules for temporarily and permanently restricted funds
- Assisting the CFO in the preparation and monitoring of departmental budgets and forecasts and collaborating with other administrators and department heads concerning budget performance
- Oversee and maintain the fixed asset system, direct determination of depreciation rates to apply to capital assets and ensure accurate balances in the general ledger
- Taking lead position on preparation of schedules and workpapers for annual audits and tax return
- Proficiency in evaluating, creating, and maintaining internal controls systems. Working with the CFO to communicate, implement and administer internal control and other accounting policies as needed and ensuring compliance with such policies
- Collaborate with other departments in support of various initiatives as requested
- Other miscellaneous tasks as may be assigned in support of the CFO and Executive Director
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Advanced proficiency with Blackbaud Financial Edge (7 or NXT) accounting software (similar experience with cloud-based accounting software will be considered)
- Knowledge of integrating Blackbaud Raisers Edge NXT with Financial Edge NXT (similar experience will be considered)
- Knowledge of FACTS Tuition Management and/or a related tuition management system
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong organizational, research, administrative, and time management skills, including the ability to manage tasks and projects simultaneously while adhering to deadlines and paying attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written, verbal, and people skills, a high regard for confidentiality, excellent customer service, and exemplary ethical standards
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment and to supervise within a diverse community while maintaining accountability
- A willingness and ability to learn and train, and a commitment to recommend best practices for improvements in process efficiency
- Google Suite (Google Calendar, Docs, Drive, etc. and Microsoft Office (i.e., Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- An elevated level of flexibility, responsiveness, patience, compassion, and kindness
Temple Emanu-El is a vibrant Reform Jewish community that strives to be a place of sacred encounter. It is a place where learning, prayer and deeds change people’s understanding of themselves, of their world and their responsibilities in it. Formed in 1872, Temple Emanu-El is the largest congregation in the Southwest and is among the largest in the United States with close to 2600 member families.
Interested applicants, please email your resume to Julie Meyer, Human Resources at email@example.com