Based in Austin, Texas, the Texas Counseling Association (TCA) is a 7,000-member organization focused on promoting high professional standards and increasing access to professional counselors across Texas. As a 501c3 professional association, TCA provides leadership, advocacy, resources, and professional development for the counseling profession.
TCA members work in an array of settings including private practice; elementary and secondary schools; college campuses; criminal justice programs; community mental health centers, hospitals, nursing homes and managed care facilities. TCA members also include counselor educators, LPC Supervisors, graduate students, LPC Associates, and affiliate members who support the mission of TCA. For additional information see www.txca.org
Within the organization, there are 12 divisions focused on specialized areas of practice. There are also 27 local chapters connecting counselors in identified counties. The organization is led by a Board of Directors and a Senate with representatives from each division and chapter. TCA is the largest state division of the American Counseling Association. TCA works closely with regulatory agencies and licensure boards, as well as the Texas Legislature to provide expertise, advisement, and advocacy on issues related to the counseling profession and the clients served.
The Texas Counseling Association is located in Austin, two blocks from the Texas State Capitol. Home to the University of Texas flagship campus, Austin is known for its eclectic live-music scene centered around country, blues, and rock. Its many parks and lakes are popular for hiking, biking, swimming, and boating. Population of the Austin metro area is over 2 million. For more information: www.austintexas.org
TCA seeks an energetic, experienced, and highly skilled Chief Executive Officer to work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to lead and support all areas of the organization. The major responsibilities of the position include:
- Working closely with the Board of Directors to continuously improve its ability to govern and lead the organization.
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with TCA membership and key state organizations, agencies, and regulatory bodies relevant to TCA.
- Supporting the work of TCA chapters, divisions, committees, and members.
- Working with the Board to strengthen Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism, (IDEA) within the community of practice.
- Effectively managing the TCA headquarters, operations, and administration.
- Maintaining and accurately reporting financial performance of the organization.
- Overseeing conference and meeting operations effectively and profitably.
- Overseeing and expanding communications, marketing, and membership growth activities of the organization.
- Creating and delivering to membership timely and effective professional education programs designed to benefit TCA members.
- Developing and implementing a government relations and public policy program that effectively represents the interests and goals of TCA.
As the administrative leader of TCA, the Chief Executive Officer has the responsibility to effectively represent the organization and ensure all functions and services of the organization are focused on the TCA mission: TCA leads, educates, and advocates to advance the counseling profession, to increase access to professional counselors, and to promote wellness.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Characteristics
The following qualifications and characteristics are desired for this position. Additionally, the successful candidate must possess a strong ability and desire to support the membership of the organization and counseling profession.
- Ability to effectively communicate with leadership and volunteers to engage in continuous growth and improvement of the association and the profession.
- Ability to ensure the association is staffed with well trained, quality, and engaged employees.
- Ability to create an environment and culture that focuses on the association’s mission, vision, and values as well as the ability to help the association’s culture adapt as it grows and changes in the future.
- Ability to be a spokesperson on behalf of the association at legislative and regulatory body meetings, coalition building, business functions, community events, and networking opportunities.
- Ability to advocate for the association and profession through empowering TCA members’ active engagement.
- Ability to oversee the management of all association departments utilizing effective leadership strategies and delegation of responsibility.
- Ability to ensure the association’s governing bodies fulfill all responsibilities outlined in the bylaws and Governance Manual, as well as compliance with legal requirements.
- Ability to develop the association by analyzing organization operations, identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, systems enhancement, and accumulating capital to fund expansion.
- Ability to oversee financial performance and risk profile of the organization while ensuring strategic priorities are met.
Preferred Education and Experience
Minimum 5 years successful executive leadership experience. Preference will be given to demonstrated leadership in professional associations, volunteer, or not-for-profit organizations. Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution in public administration, business administration, or other fields relevant to the mission of TCA. Preference will be given to those who hold the Certified Association Executive credential.
The TCA Chief Executive Officer will receive a competitive salary commensurate with education and experience along with a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance. Also included is a 401k retirement plan, vacation time, sick leave, and paid holidays. The proposed salary range for this position will be $135,000 – $165,000.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
- The Texas Counseling Association is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran or disability status.
The search for the Chief Executive Officer of the Texas Counseling Association is being conducted by The Moran Company. For more information regarding the position, please contact Jon Rosell, Senior Search Consultant, The Moran Company at jon (at) morancompany.com. APPLY NOW