POSITION: Chief Advancement Officer
REPORTS TO: CEO
FLSA: Exempt (Salaried)
DEPARTMENT: Development, Marketing & Communications
Supervision of Staff:
- Director of Development and Corporate Giving
- Development Associate
- Senior Development Manager-Major Gifts
- Director of Marketing & Communications
- Marketing Specialist
- Webmaster and Graphic Designer
- Grants Strategy Manager
- Senior Manager, Retail Partnerships and Partners Card
- Volunteer Coordinator & In-Kind Donations Manager
- Development Information Specialist
- Development Consultant
- PR Agency
(Staff subject to increase over time.)
Department Budget: $14M, total agency budget $17M
Summary: The Family Place seeks a highly motivated, proven leader who has deep, authentic funding and community relationships, an impeccable reputation, leads with integrity and accountability, brings a significant repertoire of donors, is strategic and creative, and knows how to develop and engage a team.
In close partnership with the CEO and the executive leadership team, this leader’s main objective is to strategically increase the overall capacity of the agency’s fundraising by creating plans for donor engagement and development. This person understands the lifecycle of a donor from entry level to major gifts and planned giving and is able to effectively coach a team to continued growth. The ideal candidate is a champion for internal and external partnerships to advance unified communication, branding, and marketing strategies in pursuit of broadening fundraising opportunities and deepening the agency’s impact in the community. As a member of the executive leadership team, the ideal candidate leads with a servant heart, prioritizes both clients and employees, and fosters a culture of creativity and belonging.
- Determine goals, cash flow projections, and an annual work plan to reach and exceed funding goals. Work with CEO and CFO to develop all fundraising-related budgets.
- Nimbly pivot and adjust fundraising strategies as needed to respond to new opportunities and changing funding and client services landscapes.
- Work with the CEO, staff, and board of directors to facilitate short- and long-term strategic funding plans.
- In collaboration with the CEO, directly lead fundraising with the board of directors to reach board goal through personal contributions, company contributions, and introductions/referrals to donors.
- Oversee strategy and growth plans for Partners Card, largest philanthropic/retail fundraiser in Dallas.
- Build and lead major gifts and foundation grants strategies.
- Collaborate to ensure government grant opportunities are maximized.
- Oversee events team to execute best-in-class events.
Corporate Partnerships Program
- Drive growth of business development revenue. Lead the development team in identifying new fundraising opportunities.
- Lead development team in building industry sector analyses, targeting strategies for top prospects, and customizing proposals to win new business.
- Grow and manage key workplace relationships with assigned accounts increasing engagement and revenue.
- Develop and execute customized strategies that increase engagement of companies and donors throughout the year.
Volunteer and In-Kind Donation Program
- Work with the volunteer manager and solicit donations from corporations, foundations, and community partners.
- Oversee the distributions of donations throughout the agency, as needed.
Planned Giving Campaigns
- Implement short- and long-term planned giving goals and strategies to build upon existing commitments and expand the current donor base pipeline.
- Carry and manage a portfolio of planned giving donors and prospects for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Provide expertise in structuring complex gifts and working with colleagues to close new planned gift intentions.
- Direct and oversee stewardship and recognition programs for planned giving donors and ensure effective regular communication and retention.
- Create campaign strategy, establish solicitation priorities, manage prospect lists, develop and executing targeted cultivation plans and solicitation strategies for a range of projects. Prepare and provide support to staff, board members, and volunteers for solicitation. Plan and manage cultivation events.
- Work with the CEO to review feasibility studies, develop campaign strategies, and set campaign sub-goals.
- Provide leadership to ensure campaign communications and cultivation event activity plans are met.
- Plan and run steering committee meetings.
- Manage site visits and solicitations with other steering committee or board members.
- Identify individual, corporation, and foundation prospects.
Communications/Email/Website/Public Relations/Social Media Campaigns
- Increase giving through digital platforms and the use of social media and technology in fundraising.
- In partnership with Marketing Director, bring agency fundraising into the future through technology and fully leveraging the new CRM platform, Virtuous, developing strategies to fundraise through email, website, social media, etc.
- Oversee Marketing Director who leads all marketing and communications activities while aligning metrics and objectives.
- Implement quantifiable and measurable fundraising and marketing strategies to achieve the agency’s financial and brand goals.
- Ensure effective internal and external communications and PR strategies that enhance connection and support agency culture in all programs and locations.
- Ensure internal alignment by providing strategic marketing and communications counsel to the organization’s executive team.
- Partner with executive leadership and department leaders to create and endorse the organization’s donor and program-related communications.
- Partner with CEO to develop and implement innovative digital communications and marketing plans to enhance brand/services awareness and fundraising.
- Oversee and evaluate relationships with marketing and communications vendors.
- Contribute to, in partnership with the CEO and the People Services team, the strategy and implementation of internal agency communications with a focus on increasing frequency of information flow and an even more connected culture.
- Oversee all writing and digital content including content for external communication outlets such as print communications, social media, video, graphic design, and photography.
- Cultivate a creative and innovative team environment to facilitate comprehensive marketing and communications strategies for the organization.
- Hire, train, and mentor fundraising and marketing staff to continue to build a high-capacity, creative, and excellent fundraising team.
- Mentor team to hone, advance, and develop skills and modern capabilities. Improve upon beloved current events and innovate through new events.
- Serve as an inspirational leader for staff. Promote a culture of accountability and integrity, high performance, meaningful collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles of professional conduct for fundraising executives. Demonstrate empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donor.
- Attend board meetings and serve as ambassador of the organization.
- Oversee the management of the donor database and provide guidance on technology needs and best practices to build an effective fundraising department.
- Revenue streams grow to meet the funding needs of the organization.
- A strategic focus of fundraising activities is aligned with the mission of the organization and filling fundraising gaps for services.
- Fundraising staff has a clear understanding of their role and are motivated to achieve the department’s goals.
- The department is efficient and effective and focused on team goals and objectives.
- A consistent message is delivered to current and prospective donors, funders, and partners.
- Online branding and digital fundraising are expanded.
- All fundraising messaging and publications are compelling and consistent with the organization’s brand and voice.
- The donor database is up to date, accurate, and logically formatted.
- Brand experiences are well organized, mission-driven, and successful.
- Board engagement and efforts are well structured, and board member’s time is utilized appropriately.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required, and graduate degree strongly preferred. A minimum of 10-15+ years in fundraising and marketing experience with five years at a senior leadership level. The ideal candidate must be an influential, highly connected, creative strong communicator and have demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful, multimillion dollar fundraising strategies and supporting donor operations across all aspects of fundraising operations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ideal candidate is creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, and flexible, possessing a positive attitude, tact, good judgment, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to work well as a team member with employees, community professionals, and volunteers.
- Must embody The Family Place’s core values REACH: Respect, Empathy, Accountability, Communication, and Humor.
- Lead with a servant’s heart and instill trust through every interaction.
- Track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and closing asks from a diversified book of business.
- A high-energy, results-oriented leader with entrepreneurial spirit and innovative drive.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team to success.
Apply using link below: