Bilingual Literacy Coach
Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: non-Exempt
Reports To: Director of Programs
Job Type: Regular
Positions Supervised: None
Work Schedule: 40 hrs. per week, M-F 9am-6pm but flexible schedule according to demand/need.
About Catch Up & Read
Since 2009, Catch Up & Read has been on a mission to equip children to read on grade level by the end of 3rd grade so they can graduate from high school and break the generational cycle of poverty. Our focus is to equip teachers with evidence-based literacy practices that give 1st-3rd grade children from underserved communities the reading foundation they need to succeed in school and life. Catch Up & Read currently works with 20 Title I elementary schools in Dallas County, training over 150 teachers and providing teacher-directed tutoring for approximately 750 1st-3rd grade students.
Every week we train a cohort of classroom teachers with the skills they need to provide students with the highest caliber of research-based classroom instruction. We are different because of our investment in teachers–we give them deep professional development throughout the year and pay them stipends to stay afterschool to tutor children which gives more income to teachers and better outcomes for students. We are also the only after-school program that provides tutoring in both English and Spanish. Our model has the capacity to reach large numbers of children and provide lasting improvement to public schools. We believe in the power of literacy to transform lives and communities.
The Bilingual Literacy Coach supports Catch Up & Read’s mission by working with bilingual teachers and students primarily in 1st-3rd grade. The position requires daytime availability during the school day as well as afterschool. The position requires dependable transportation to get to the office and schools each day. The Bilingual Literacy Coach is a vital position to the organization and oversees delivery of curriculum, professional development, data meetings, modeling, and coaching, as well as cultivation of relationships with principals, other administrators and partners. The Bilingual Literacy Coach is also responsible for overseeing CAR programming which includes small group tutoring with students at CAR schools.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Model, observe and coach best literacy practices in both school day and after-school programs.
● Model, observe and coach during tutoring sessions, in both school day and after-school programs, conducting regular site visits.
● Model and/or observe professional development sessions, in both school day and after school programs.
● Support and develop teachers’ ability to:
o Make informed instructional decisions by examining student work and interpreting student data.
o Identify and prioritize needs and goals of individual students.
o Implement best literacy practices including explicit, systematic phonics, interactive read alouds and small group intervention.
● Oversee delivery of all program curriculum and suggest improvements in collaboration with Curriculum Manager and Director of Programs
● Continue professional development to be knowledgeable about best practices in literacy.
● Manage and oversee teams of CAR Lead Teachers and CAR teachers at each campus to ensure the expectations and responsibilities of their positions are being met.
● Coordinate and analyze student assessments.
● Coordinate and facilitate monthly meetings which include principal, reading coach and lead teacher to discuss the program, share progress and make changes for future success.
● Prepare reports and materials for meetings and professional development as needed.
● Collaborate with school partners to maximize student success.
● Other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs or Executive Director
• Communication, Written and Oral - Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively through writing, reports, spoken word and presentations.
• Organized- Ability to maintain data, reports and information as well as scheduling and running meetings in an organized fashion.
• Analytical - Ability to analyze multiple sources of student and teacher data and make data-driven decisions to differentiate instruction as well as ability to work with spreadsheets
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct with high integrity.
• Teachable-Willing to continue to learn and grow professionally, maintains a growth mindset and actively seeks continual improvement.
• Flexible-Willing to change direction quickly, shift hours/schedule, and work fluidly depending on the demand of the job.
• Teamwork-Ability to work with a variety of people and personalities.
• Positive- constructive, optimistic, and confident.
• Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others
● College degree, preferably with an emphasis on education/literacy – required
● Minimum 2 years’ experience in teaching reading in a bilingual classroom, especially at the lower elementary level--required
● Minimum 2 years’ experience coaching educators in the field of literacy - required
● Knowledge/experience in explicit, systematic phonics (Science of Reading) - preferred
● Knowledge in various reading assessment techniques/programs, such as MAP- preferred
● Experience working in a Title 1 environment at the elementary level – preferred
● Experience with virtual/technology knowledge, comfortable with social media platforms, Zoom, Google Meet, Google Drive, and Outlook programs
Skills and Abilities
Computer Skills: Proficient in all Microsoft and Google applications and willing to learn new software and programs
Knowledge/experience with content creation, writing or general communications Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Ability to learn on the job and be a self-starter Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
• Lift/Carry 10lbs
• Push/Pull 12lbs
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate.
Forward resume to email@example.com.