Family Gateway’s Emergency Shelter Case Manager is responsible for serving families with children experiencing homelessness by empowering families with tools & resources to transition from homeless to housed as quickly as possible.
This position reports to the Emergency Shelter Director/ Assistant Shelter Director.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct prescreening & assessments with families with children that are experiencing homelessness;
- Interact with families who are experiencing instability, confusion and loss with a trauma-informed care model;
- Engage with families with children who have no place to stay for the night and:
- Provide solution-focused action plans to crisis situations
- Contact family members, friends, clergy, landlords, hotels & others who may able to provide immediate assistance for children and their families who need shelter for the night;
- Gather documents that will expedite housing options in the community;
- Refer & provide assistance to families to go to shelters in the community with availability;
- Make arrangements for families to have access to showers, laundry & meals;
- Prepare room accommodations for the night;
- Enroll family in HMIS and internal agency Guest’s List.
- Provide children and their families with daily action items that will:
- Assist in minimizing time in an emergency shelter setting;
- Support youth stability by way of school/daycare enrollment;
- Empower families to gain community support & networks that will increase chances for long-term stability;
- Encourage proactive mental & medical health care;
- Foster relationships with agencies that will provide ongoing supportive services after a homeless experience/episode.
- Complete internal and external processes (ViSPDAT, FSPDAT, DOPS) that will assist in identifying appropriate interventions and housing opportunities for families;
- Document any and all encounters and interactions with each member of the family dynamic;
- Work with Family Gateway Emergency Shelter, Family Gateway Resource Center Staff and other homeless service providers to develop action & case plans and to provide/make referrals.
- Create and organize files for families, uploading all documents into homeless management information systems.
- Deescalate and provide forward thinking mediation during times of conflict amongst families/adults/youth;
- Attend meetings and trainings that will promote agency and personal growth;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Requirements
- Candidate should have a bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years in a shelter/residential environment; professional experience may substitute for education.
- Candidate should be passionate in serving others, especially vulnerable populations and those who have experienced/are experiencing trauma.
- Candidate must be able to work under a great amount of pressure and accomplish multiple tasks in a short amount of time.
- Candidate MUST be highly organized.
- Candidate MUST have intermediate to advanced typing and Microsoft Suite skills.
Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.