The George W. Bush Institute is a solution-oriented non-partisan policy organization focused on ensuring opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free societies. Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the Bush Institute is rooted in compassionate conservative values and committed to creating positive, meaningful, and lasting change at home and abroad. We utilize our unique platform and convening power to advance solutions to national and global issues of the day by influencing policy, not politics. Learn more at bushcenter.org.
The Associate Editor will help with all aspects of The Catalyst, the George W. Bush Institute’s award-winning, nonpartisan policy journal, and will also help the Editor-in-Chief (EiC) with research and administrative support. The specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Help conceive of each issue of The Catalyst. This means working with the EiC and other Bush Institute staff to come up with themes, article ideas, new content templates, and potential authors, both inside and outside the Bush Institute.
- Line- and copy-edit articles
- Evaluate submissions
- Verify facts in articles
- Manage timelines and deadlines, including tracking and review of editorial content
- Manage The Catalyst’s editorial calendar
- Build strong relationships with other departments and work closely with other team members
- Provide additional research for EiC as needed
- Provide administrative support, including expense reports and booking travel
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned or needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a):
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience working as an editor on a student or professional publication
- Copy-editing experience and familiarity with the AP Stylebook
- Excellent professional social-media skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of and passion for both domestic and international policy
- Strong computer and web skills
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Bush Center.
Additionally, the qualified candidate will:
- Be a smart, energetic, self-starter and team player
- Have a history of remaining calm while working under pressure and on deadline
- Possess experience in communicating policy work to a diverse audience
- Demonstrate the ability to be a strategic and creative thinker
- Operate as a calculated risk taker
- Evidence an exceptionally strong attention to detail
- Be able to maintain regular, dependable attendance at the office
- Engage with a make-it happen spirit, collaborative style, and possess the ability to thrive in a team-based environment.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Associate Editor, The Catalyst
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, The Catalyst
To apply, click here!