The George W. Bush Institute is a solution-oriented non-partisan policy organization focused on ensuring opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free societies. Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the Bush Institute is rooted in compassionate conservative values and committed to creating positive, meaningful, and lasting change at home and abroad. We utilize our unique platform and convening power to advance solutions to national and global issues of the day by influencing policy, not politics. Learn more at bushcenter.org.
The Associate of Communications will coordinate and administer daily activities/tasks, engage in various projects, and collaborate with the communications team to execute public relations and communication strategies across multiple platforms. Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Work with colleagues across program areas in the strategic development, execution, and implementation of communication and public relations goals.
- Monitor all incoming communications from the media inbox.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with the Digital Communications team on the dissemination of Bush Institute messages and activities via all Bush Institute channels, including social media properties.
- Create comprehensive reports & analysis for all Bush Center programs, including media clips.
- Conduct communications audits and research.
- Effectively execute timely media monitoring and reporting daily.
- Pitch news to media.
- Help manage media relations and logistics for Bush Center activities.
- Build and maintain media lists and database.
- Gather information and impacts from policy writing (reports, white papers etc.) and mine for story opportunities in a timely way.
- Support the planning and execution of the Bush Center's public programs that highlight the work of the Bush Institute, including ENGAGE.
- Develop new content for internal and external publication.
- Manage timelines and deadlines, including tracking and reviewing the editorial calendar
- Provide assistance for special projects and general office support for the Director, Communications as needed and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of similar experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, particularly PowerPoint, and proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Experience with leveraging media management and analytics tools, including, but not limited to Vocus, HootSuite, and Cision.
- Ability to maintain regular, dependable attendance at the office.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Bush Center.
In addition, the candidate for this position will demonstrate:
- An ability to balance demands of multiple priorities, including planning, executing, and tracking results.
- Strong organizational skills, with great attention to detail and follow-through.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills in addition to the ability to communicate across multiple formats.
- A good attitude, strong work ethic and collaborative working style.
- A proven ability to thrive in a team-based environment—sharing duties, pitching in to help, and building trust.
- Sound judgment and high levels of professional ethics and ability to work with discretion and maintain confidentiality, when necessary.
- Courteous and professional demeanor within an office environment.
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Associate, Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director, Communications