The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has been recognized as one of the most beautiful display gardens in America. The Arboretum has 17 major gardens, 29 smaller ones, and 2 signature gardens throughout its 66 acres. These are A Tasteful Place, a fruit, herb and vegetable teaching garden and The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden, an 8-acre outdoor science museum teaching life and earth science principles in an engaging way. Previously rated as the number one visitor destination in Dallas by Trip Advisor. It is known for five seasonal color change outs, enabling the garden to have year round color. The garden has a budget of $30 million, average visitation of over a million guests a year and a membership base of over 45,000
The Accounting Manager is primarily responsible for the expense side of the Arboretum’s Accounting department with focus on accounts payable, fixed assets, capital project spending, and payroll. The Accounting Manager will supervise two (2) staff, an Accounts Payable Specialist and an Accounting Coordinator. The Accounting Manager will report to the Controller. The Accounting Manager will play a pivotal role in the Arboretum’s annual financial audit, annual benefit plan audit, worker’s compensation audit, and IRS Tax filing processes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Supervise Accounts Payable and Fixed Asset accounting processes and staff.
- Review and approve invoices weekly
- Ensure weekly check run and positive pay processes occur within established deadlines
- Process electronic banking transactions
- Manage controls and limits on corporate credit cards
- Daily treasury review and log
- Process payroll through ADP. Work with departments to ensure appropriate time entry processes and controls are in place.
- Manage annual 401K audit and process all 401K retirement transactions
- Manage annual Worker’s Compensation audit
- Month, Quarter, and Year-end journal entries / accruals processed in accordance with agreed upon timelines.
- Perform reconciliation of balance sheet accounts as assigned
- Ensure fixed assets are accounted for according to policy
- Issue monthly capital project reports
- Monthly vault content inventory and count
- Ensure staff and self are cross trained in appropriate functions within the accounting department.
- Ad hoc reporting as necessary.
- Issue department financial and projection reports in accordance with established deadlines.
- Actively engage with the department heads to discuss variances, forecasts, and budgets;
- Participate in the audit process and assist the Controller or CFO as needed.
- Driver’s license required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or related field required.
- Four plus years of progressively responsible accounting experience required.
- Progressively responsible non-profit industry experience desired.
- CPA or MBA desired.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud accounting products desired
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, and the use of financial software applications.
- Sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time with extensive walking during special event weekends as needed.
- Must pass criminal and credit background checks.
- Great attention to detail; focused, accurate, timely
- Good independent judgement skills
- Engaging and approachable.
- Committed to excellence in non-profit accounting practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of integrity, detailed oriented and committed to accuracy.
- Good organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks.
Dallas Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. Dallas Arboretum does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Dallas Arboretum and Botanic Garden complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
Please go to https://www.dallasarboretum.org/contact/employment-opportunities/ to apply for this position. You will click the careers button, then DABJOBSAPPLY to be directed the positng.