KERA is hiring a Vice President of Membership to lead our multi-platform membership team and work collaboratively across departments to innovate and grow our membership programs. This person in this role must be a strategic thinker with deep experience in acquisition and digital audience conversion. They need to think about public media membership as a journey and work to attract, convert and retain members for all KERA’s platforms.
The station serves the country’s fifth-largest media market, reaching more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT and Art&Seek. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
KERA is looking for a great leader with a track record of strategic fundraising that includes demonstrated revenue and new member growth, and advanced marketing and communication skills. The Vice President leads the membership team and works closely with other departments to build and maintain strong cross-team communication pipelines that leverage content, events and station initiatives to advance fundraising priorities for a growing number of public media platforms, including KERA TV, KERA News and KXT.
The successful candidate believes that donors who contribute at any level are philanthropic partners and critical to the success of the organization and is always focused on the experience of our donors as they move from one-time gifts to monthly giving, major donors and/or estate gifts. They have a strong background in digital fundraising, data analysis, and revenue modeling to increase individual giving and target new audiences. They are excited to develop new revenue opportunities tied to new content and emerging platforms.
The Vice President of Membership thrives in a fast-paced setting, motivates and mentors others, and fosters creative approaches to achieving membership growth and philanthropic goals.
- Oversee the successful planning and execution of all aspects of membership, including acquisition, renewals and additional gifts up to $1,499/year
- Work closely with the major gifts team build the donor pipeline from mid-level giving to major and planned giving
- Lead all fundraising channels including online giving and email, on-air membership campaigns, direct mail, social media, special events, as well as new and emerging revenue sources
- Lead the effort to move annual contributors to monthly recurring donors
- Develop and execute a five-year vision and strategy to grow digital revenue and make KERA the most innovative individual giving organization in public media
- Create and manage a new digital revenue team
- Develop and oversee multi-million-dollar annual revenue and expense budgets
- Manage a growing team of fundraising professionals
- Lead the implementation of a written system of procedures and best practices to streamline departmental processes
- Work closely with the audience team to develop new conversion strategies that strengthen KERA’s audience funnel
- Work closely with the content teams to develop new revenue opportunities for shows, podcasts, and news initiatives
- Provide world-class service to our members and audiences
- Communicate internally and externally about the importance of supporting the mission of public media
- Work with leadership and colleagues on company-wide strategic plans, goals, and metrics
- Uphold and advance KERA’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform additional duties as assigned
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Self-motivated thought leader with a broad background in non-profit fundraising, especially in the areas of individual gifts and digital fundraising
- 5-8 years of experience in successfully leading a membership and/or marketing program, preferably in public media or other non-profit sector
- 3-5 years of experience in digital fundraising and subscription/sustainer revenue
- Demonstrated ability in leading a multi-faceted membership department with a strong commitment to team building and collaboration
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build consensus among internal and external groups
- Significant experience in result-oriented marketing that drives acquisition revenue and grows loyalty
- Ability to work in partnership with diverse teams of volunteers, team members, donors and community members
- Deep knowledge of fundraising best practices and initiatives, staying apprised of new and emerging fundraising trends
- Knowledge of donor database software systems and metrics driven data analysis
- A strong personal appreciation for the values and mission of public media, and knowledge of public media’s programs and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related field
- Nonprofit leadership experience supervising several team members
- Strong storytelling skills and experience in on-air fundraising, both radio and tv
- Fluent in multiple languages, Spanish preferred
$100,000 - $140,000, depending on experience
KERA is partially operating remotely due to the pandemic. When we return to the office in 2022, we will continue to provide flexibility for our staff to work remotely if they so choose. We expect that this position will work out of our office at least 50% of the time, possibly more during on-air member campaigns.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter.
KERA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.