The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has been recognized as one of the most beautiful display gardens in America, and has 17 major gardens, and 29 smaller ones and 2 signature gardens throughout its 66 acres. These are A Tasteful Place, a fruit, herb and vegetable teaching garden and The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden, an 8-acre outdoor science museum teaching life and earth science principles in an engaging way. As the number one rated visitor destination in Dallas by Trip Advisor, it is known for 5 seasonal color change outs, enabling the garden to have year round color. The garden has a budget of $22 million, average visitation of over a million guests a year and a membership base of over 34,000.
Responsibilities include implementing and maintaining an exemplary volunteer program to assist in the delivery of the organization's programs and services. Assures that active volunteer recruitment, placement and training are coordinated and conducted successfully. Directly oversee Volunteer Services staff to promote courteous engagement with volunteers and to meet Arboretum needs for volunteer support.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Oversee the volunteer function of the Arboretum to assure all daily responsibilities of the volunteer office, volunteer staff and all volunteers are met successfully.
- Prepare annual budget; forecast demand and strategies for volunteer services; identify areas of need.
- Create and implement a Volunteer Services environment to support the recruitment of and engagement in the Volunteer program/activities at the Arboretum.
- Assure that recruitment, placement and training are coordinated and conducted successfully.
- Implement and oversee training for volunteer staff and volunteers; develop relevant volunteer team building events
- Monitor the online registration system for all volunteers; assure all volunteer hours are tracked and perform monthly statistical reports to outside organizations or others as required.
- Supervise plans and implementation of all volunteer appreciation events (formal and informal)
- Oversee volunteer schedule for all areas, making sure all areas are covered and have the necessary volunteers
- Promptly address any areas of conflict with appropriate solutions.
- Assure that all training manuals, handbooks and guidelines are updated as needed
- Understand and enforce all policy and procedures of the Arboretum
- Interact with the Volunteer Advisory Board (VAB) to assure positive support and engagement with the VAB members and all committee chairs; attend Volunteer Advisory Board meetings
- Work with Volunteer Center of North Texas, Volunteer Match and Center for Non-Profit Management, etc. to continue to foster a good relationship and to keep up to date on best practices
- Effectively evaluate, manage, and schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner; train staff and promptly address any concerns for successful performance.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Three years non-profit experience, preferably supervising paid and volunteer staff
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and complex scheduling
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; good office computer and database skills
- Physical ability to conduct training and presentations (both on and off property), and to walk across the property frequently as needed.
- Ability to work nights & weekends as needed.
- Valid driver license
- Organized with ability to multitask successfully; professional work ethic.
- Flexible, diplomatic, responsive and self-motivated.
- Good judgement and problem solving skills.
- Ability to motivate and to engage staff and volunteers.
Please apply for this position via the Dallas Arboretum website (www.dallasarboretm.org) under the Careers link.