The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has been recognized as one of the most beautiful display gardens in America, and has 17 major gardens, and 29 smaller ones and 2 signature gardens throughout its 66 acres. These are A Tasteful Place, a fruit, herb and vegetable teaching garden and The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden, an 8-acre outdoor science museum teaching life and earth science principles in an engaging way. As the number one rated visitor destination in Dallas by Trip Advisor, it is known for 5 seasonal color change outs, enabling the garden to have year round color. The garden has a budget of $22 million, average visitation of over a million guests a year and a membership base of over 34,000.
Overall responsible for recruiting, managing, maintaining databases and scheduling for the volunteers. Point of contact for communications. Provide direction and coordination to volunteers each day and for special events. Directly oversee Volunteer paid staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Research new prospective contacts for volunteer groups and creative ways to locate new volunteers.
- Make presentations to organizational groups as requested
- Grow and maintain volunteer base by community outreach, attending volunteer fairs, updating recruitment websites, and developing new ideas for recruiting.
- Assure that recruitment materials are current and relevant
- Timely process volunteer applications, information, and volunteer training.
- Timely reply to volunteer inquiries for appropriate follow up
- Run background checks on all new volunteers and volunteer groups (if necessary)
- Schedule and conduct volunteer orientations
- Schedule monthly volunteer trainings for each area; document training
- Assure volunteer data is accurate and up-to-date in the Volunteer database
- Manage Teen Leadership Council and Collegiate Leadership council, including requirements, scheduling, and volunteer duties.
- Actively promote growth for the Teen Leadership Council and identify qualified student leaders
- Work effectively with all departments to fill their volunteer requests as well as the ongoing, daily volunteer needs.
- Promptly solicit volunteers to fill departmental volunteer requests.
- Prepare and monitor the daily volunteer schedule, assuring all positions are filled or accommodated.
- Assist the Senior Volunteer Manager in developing goals and objectives to improve the Volunteer program.
- Evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- One-year non-profit experience, preferably supervising paid and volunteer staff
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and complex scheduling
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; good office and computer database skills
- Physical ability to conduct presentations (on and off property), training and walking across the property frequently
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Driver’s license to drive garden vehicles or to attend recruitment appointments as needed
- Organized with ability to multitask successfully; professional work ethic.
- Flexible, diplomatic, responsive and self-motivated.
- Good judgement and problem solving skills.
- Ability to motivate and to engage staff and volunteers.
Please go to www.dallasarboretum.org via the Careers link to apply for this position.