JOB TITLE: Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Volunteer Engagement Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: Will provide supervision to volunteers, AmeriCorps members, and interns
The primary responsibility of the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC) is supporting the Volunteer Engagement Manager (VEM) in providing excellent delivery of Volunteer Engagement services, which includes the recruitment, retention, and recognition of volunteers, both individuals and groups, in service to the clients, staff, and programs of Crossroads Community Services.
The VEC will work with staff across departments to schedule and coordinate volunteer assignments. Examples include the recruitment and scheduling of volunteers working with clients in the Crossroads Pantry and working with warehouse staff to have the Kroger Reclamation Project (KRP) area set-up and organized for volunteers to package and inventory sorted product and packaged boxes.
- Support Volunteer Engagement Manager, working in conjunction with all departments at Crossroads, to catalogue volunteer activities and opportunities
- Proactively recruit volunteers, interns, and AmeriCorps to fill the needed positions
- Process applications and ensure records are complete and accurate
- Update volunteer schedule in Volgistics and communicate expected volunteers with appropriate staff so tasks and work areas can be prepared
- Update Development team of scheduled corporate groups
- Assist with the creation and monitoring of the Crossroads Pantry Captain Program (Lead Volunteers) to cover Pantry and KRP shifts
- Nurture relationships with local schools, universities, teachers, and professors to promote our internship opportunities as well as CitySquare AmeriCorps office and Hunger Free America to continue our recruitment and hosting of AmeriCorps and VISTA members
- Support a culture that inspires synergy, trust, and good will between volunteers, staff, AmeriCorps members, and interns
- Welcome and conduct orientations for individual and group volunteers at the beginning of their first shift
- Offer a welcoming environment for our volunteers, which includes safe storage of personal belongings, ample water, and stocked supplies in the volunteer breakroom
- Monitor the volunteer experience to be aware of what Crossroads is doing well as well as identify areas for improvement
- Engage with volunteers while they are on-site to thank them for their time, work, and investment in our clients and programs
- Assist Volunteer Engagement Manager with publications and communication materials (monthly newsletter, flyers, training materials, etc.)
- Coordinate annual Volunteer Appreciation Event to honor and thank our volunteers, interns, AmeriCorps and VISTA members
Operations and Personnel
- Identify and organize specific projects and responsibilities of the Volunteer Engagement Program Advisory Committee (VEPAC), VEPAC Corporate Group Subcommittee, and VEPAC Goals/Plan
- Involve VEPAC with outreach, community engagement events, annual Volunteer Appreciation event, annual special event, Dollar $ Drives, Food Drives, and service fairs
- Coordinate the Homebound Client Food Box Delivery program and weekly delivery volunteers
- Ensure volunteers assigned to KRP are trained and supported while on-site
- Providing direct supervision will be required if Pantry Captain shift is unfilled
- Document and update activities via SOPs, manuals, and policies & procedures to improve the quality and effectiveness of our volunteer recruitment, onboarding, training, and experience
- Support Volunteer Engagement Manager in drafting materials that tell volunteer stories and clearly, concisely, and accurately communicate their impact
- Lead volunteer orientation and projects on scheduled 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month
Job Requirements, Experience & Qualifications:
- Passion for Crossroads’ mission
- Organized, compassionate, detail-oriented, punctual, dependable, and teachable attitude
- Strong collaborative skills since teamwork is essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, effective customer-service skills, and comfortable supervising and delivering training to volunteers (individuals and groups), staff, interns, and AmeriCorps
- 1-3 years of relevant experience (e.g., non-profit, customer service, retail, volunteer management)
- Ability to give and receive feedback effectively and to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, etc.), Volgistics (volunteer management database), and Salesforce experience preferred
- Evidence of ability to prioritize, manage and complete projects
- Solve problems, reacting quickly and productively, serving as a resource by undertaking the appropriate steps to resolve
- Maintain a positive attitude and presence with volunteers, staff, and visitors
- Availability to work occasional Saturday mornings and evenings, as needed
- Walk, reach, stretch, bend, pick up, carry, and set down packages/boxes of varying weights. Ability to operate hand jack pallet.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and cover every contingency. Just as the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC) sets clear expectations for our volunteers it lays the foundation for the Crossroads VEC to be successful.
The physical environment requires the employee to work primarily indoors. Some travel is required to attend meetings/events/conferences locally, statewide, and nationally. Regular workday and workweek are established with some planned early morning or evening hours, Saturday mornings, and overnight and out of area travel.
The employee is expected to make decisions, supervise employees, read and write, speak publicly, and interpret information and data. May be seated for periods of time and occasionally may have to lift boxes or other materials that weigh 40 pounds or less.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Liane Proctor, Volunteer Engagement Manager, at email@example.com