Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Food Programs Manager
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC) is a vital member of the Food Programs team at Crossroads and is responsible for the Crossroads Volunteer Experience Program. Working with all departments, the VEC is responsible for cataloging all volunteer needs and opportunities within the organization. More importantly, the VEC is responsible for recruiting, screening, on-boarding, and scheduling individuals and groups to meet those needs.
The VEC is also responsible for providing regular communication and recognition of volunteer work, as well as identifying and implementing engagement strategies to strengthen volunteer relationships with Crossroads’ staff, clients, and other volunteers. Additionally, the VEC will develop and document the Crossroads Lead Volunteer Program.
The ideal candidate will value the essential role volunteers play in the fulfillment of our mission and ensure that every volunteer clearly understands her or his importance and responsibilities. Volunteers must understand their actions and attitudes matter—when they perform well, lives are enhanced. Volunteers are the compassionate and motivating face to Crossroads.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and cover every contingency. Just as the VEC sets clear expectations for our volunteers, it lays the foundation for the VEC to be successful.
To meet the expectations set forth in this job description, the VEC will spend approximately 30% of her or his time recruiting volunteers; 30% of their time welcoming, thanking, and engaging existing volunteers; 30% on direct administration of the Crossroads Volunteer Experience Program - onboarding, cataloguing needs, Lead Volunteer Program; and 10% on general administrative tasks – weekly communication, reporting, documenting Standard Operating Procedures, etc.
Recruiting and Onboarding Volunteers
- Develop and implement the Annual Volunteer Recruitment Plan that takes into consideration changes in regular volunteer availability due to travel and holidays to ensure Crossroads always has an adequate number of volunteers:
- With the Development & Marketing Coordinator, create compelling communications and materials that promote the Crossroads Volunteer Experience Program online and in the community
- Actively seek out new, innovative channels for volunteer recruitment
- Represent Crossroads at corporate, academic, and community volunteer fairs
- Connect with local corporations, churches, schools, etc. to recruit new volunteers and present at civic, social, and religious organizations
- Attend various community events with other Crossroads staff to showcase volunteer opportunities
- Promote available AmeriCorps opportunities at Crossroads while engaging with the community
- Measure the activity and success of the recruiting efforts performed
- Streamline the volunteer application and on-boarding processes:
- Using Volgistics, streamline theapplication and on-boarding process for all volunteers, document the processes, and update as needed (background checks, compliance paperwork, etc.)
- Create and maintain onboarding training processes for all volunteers, incorporating best practices and Volgistics to shorten the timeframe between the date when a volunteer application is submitted and the date the first volunteer shift is scheduled
- Track and measure how many and at what speed volunteers move through the application, onboarding, and orientation process
- Update and maintain the Volunteer Handbook, working with departmental staff to ensure the job descriptions and the policies and procedures are up to date
- Respond to incoming calls, emails, and applications within 2 business days
- Conduct weekly volunteer orientations
- Ensure all volunteers have a clear understanding of Crossroads’ policies and procedures, such as completed civil rights annually, etc.
- Maintain an understanding of organizations within the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex that are also recruiting volunteers and implement best practices to improve the Crossroads Volunteer Experience Program
- Use Volgistics to streamline and automate as much of the recruiting, processing, and onboarding steps mentioned in this section
- Plan and execute an annual volunteer appreciation event and biannual meetings with research partners
- Provide on-going communications to volunteers throughout the year through general newsletters and other channels as appropriate
- Administer Volunteer Engagement Survey at least two times each year
- Proactively work to engage volunteers in Crossroads’ work and help all staff members inspire volunteers to embrace Crossroads’ mission and values
- Encourage current volunteers to be Crossroads ambassadors in the community - recruit other volunteers, become donors, make connections with other organizations, etc.
- In coordination with the Director of Development, create process for identifying volunteers who can become monetary donors and then cultivate relationships with those volunteers
Develop Lead Volunteer Program
- Launch and promote the Lead Volunteer Program
- In coordination with the Food Programs team, develop a curriculum to take Lead Volunteers through, outline time commitment and expectations of Lead Volunteers, and create a meaningful way to recognize Lead Volunteers who have completed the Lead Volunteer orientation steps
- Identify and recruit candidates to fill Lead Volunteer positions for each pantry shift
- One Lead Volunteer should be scheduled in each pantry area (reception, processing, intake, and pantry) for each shift
- Maintain pipeline of potential Lead Volunteers
Cataloging Volunteer Needs
- In conjunction with specific department/program staff, create annual volunteer objectives and goals
- Proactively and on a regular basis work with staff members from all departments to identify areas where and how volunteers can be of assistance
- Guided by Crossroads staff and Lead Volunteers, maintain current and accurate job descriptions for all volunteer opportunities, refreshing them when necessary
- Build a list of volunteers who can serve on short notice when volunteers who are on the schedule call in or don’t arrive for their shift
- Accurately record and track volunteer metrics
- Regularly track and provide monthly reports to Food Programs Manager and Executive Management, including the number of recruiting activities performed, the number of volunteers through each recruiting stage, monthly and quarterly reports, etc.
- Must be able to work Saturdays (up to two per month) and occasional evenings as needed for volunteer and other organizational events, and work with Food Programs Manager to adjust work schedule when Saturday or evening hours are required
- Create and maintain all volunteer recruitment and engagement Standard Operating Procedures and update as needed to reflect current processes and procedures
- Learn and implement industry best practices and innovative techniques for volunteer recruitment and engagement, including participation in industry and professional organizations
- Clean and organize the Volunteer Lounge to ensure it’s a welcoming and relaxing environment for all volunteers, update communication board, PowerPoint on display, etc.
- Fill in for the highest priority volunteer who was not scheduled or cancelled. If the VEC is satisfactorily executing recruitment duties, this should be a rare occurrence.
- Other duties as assigned by the Food Programs Manager
Ideal candidates for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least one year of non-profit organization work experience or relevant volunteer experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to partner and communicate effectively with diverse constituents (all income levels, ethnicities, and ages), including being an active listener and showing empathy
- Strong relationship building skills
- Initiative, creativity, anticipatory and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, and works well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to appropriately prioritize and switch between tasks to achieve goals on time
- Experienced team contributor who has demonstrated the desire and ability to achieve individual and team goals and be accountable to those goals
- Will motivate, delegate, and gently hold volunteers accountable
- Able to lift a minimum of 25lbs and walk/stand for three hours
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and demonstrated the ability to effectively utilize volunteer management software
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- Experience with Volgistics a plus
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: email@example.com