Program Specialist, Distribution -- Vision Program
(Fort Worth, Texas)
Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition, and diseases of poverty. Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited. In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
Recognizing a lack of accessible, adequate vision care among low-income adults and children in the US, Helen Keller established the US Vision Program (formerly known as ChildSight®), which currently operate in CA, MN, NJ, NY & TX. Since 1994, Helen Keller has provided free vision screenings for more than 2.1 million individuals in the United States and provided more than 350,000 of them with prescription eyeglasses to solve common vision problems.
Helen Keller is seeking a Program Specialist to join the dynamic Texas Vision Program team to coordinate and implement program activities in the greater Fort Worth area.
The Program Specialist’s primary responsibilities include supporting the Regional Program Manager in ordering and distributing prescription eyeglasses to targeted communities.
Scheduling and Administration
- Travel to schools/programs in target communities throughout the Greater Fort Worth Community to deliver vision equipment to team members and administer screening assessments to students following US Vision Program protocol.
- Maintain database and track each phase of individual eyeglass distribution from ordering through receipt for optical lab, verification with the optician, distribution to the program participant, and reorders.
- Act as the lead liaison with Dispensing Optician and direct the pickup and drop off of eyeglasses.
- Prepare all eyeglasses for delivery to program participants with a case, label, and notification letter.
- Pack glasses by grade and enclose a list of students receiving eyeglasses and those that are referred.
- Communicate with the contact person for each school to schedule the distribution of eyeglasses.
- Schedule the Dispensing Optician to be present for eyeglasses distribution.
- Process ordering of all replacement eyeglasses; and ensure the orders are delivered to the program participant.
- Train new staff and contractors on program protocols and provide guidance and correction, as needed.
- Maintain program database with program activities and outcomes.
- Participate in the design, testing, and implementation of the program materials including, but not limited to, impact surveys, program participants and families/guardians outreach and educational materials.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key program partners to assist in gathering information and collecting data on program participants.
- Assure understanding and adherence to HIPAA policy and procedures by Vision program staff and school personnel.
- Follow the proper maintenance procedure of all files, records and documents relating to Helen Keller program activities based on developed HIPAA protocol and compliance.
- Bachelor's degree plus two years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in school and/or health settings and with adolescents preferred.
- Professional communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively across cultures.
- Solid organizational skills and reliable attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to liase effectively with community partners, troubleshoot issues, propose solutions and take proactive approaches to improve programmatic management processes including:
- asking for information in a way that is clear and specific; and
- interacting with internal colleagues and community partners with diplomacy and tact.
- Oral and written proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize workload, assume responsibility for work, and follow through to completion.
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure with a positive attitude as a part of a team.
- Willingness to travel within the targeted communities, potentially using own personal vehicle, with supplemental business insurance to be reimbursed by Helen Keller.
- Demonstrable respect for all persons regardless of religion, ethnicity, class, or gender, with a high comfort level working in a diverse environment with a demonstrated commitment to high professional, ethical standards.
- Basic computer literacy sufficient to input quality data into database of record.
- Ability to lift and transport boxes of eyeglasses and/or required daily program equipment that may weigh up to 25 pounds.
- Helen Keller International requires all staff who work in our offices and/or who provide services to beneficiaries of our US programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, whether or not they have had COVID.
- For the time being, Helen Keller also requires all staff to wear masks while providing program services and when in any open or public space in the office and to observe social distancing.
- The position is part-time (approximately 25-30 hours per week) and active only during the academic year.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
In the spirit of our namesake, Helen Keller
is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is fully valued.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above or call: +1 646-356-1789.