About Brighter Bites
Brighter Bites is a nonprofit that creates communities of health through fresh food with the goal of changing behavior among children and their families to prevent obesity and achieve long-term health. Brighter Bites is an evidence-based, multi-component elementary school, preschool, and summer camp program that utilizes reliable access to fruits and vegetables, nutrition education, and consistent exposure to recipes and messages that feature fresh food.
Since 2012, Brighter Bites has provided more than 20 million pounds of produce and 100,000s of nutrition education materials to more than 265,000 individuals (including teachers!) at more than 240 schools and camps in Houston, Dallas, Austin, New York City, the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area, and Southwest Florida. To learn more about Brighter Bites visit https://brighterbites.org.
The Program Director will coordinate Brighter Bites activities and strategies, working to identify, recruit, and manage relationships with program partners. The Program Director will work closely with North Texas Food Bank staff and other logistics partners to ensure full implementation of the Brighter Bites program. The Program Director assists with the actual delivery of trainings, development of educational materials, site monitoring, and evaluation management for Brighter Bites. The Program Director supervises six (6) full-time program staff and oversees the management of five (5) part-time employees in the Dallas office The Program Director reports directly to the Senior Program Director, based in Houston.
Facilitates all aspects of Brighter Bites strategic plan and program implementation, including:
- Builds and maintains relationships with host sites, staff, and volunteers.
- Supports the development and implementation of evaluation methodology.
- Tracks and reports on program data, and prepares budget and fiscal recommendations.
- In coordination with North Texas Food Bank and other partners, oversees logistics related to food procurement, inventory, and distribution.
- Promotes the program among external organizations, prospective host sites, and families.
- Coordinates and collaborates across departments, sites and organizations regarding Brighter Bites activities and strategies in the city.
- Facilitates all aspects of the strategic planning for Brighter Bites program implementation including recommendations of budgetary implications, setting up site schedules, locations, produce procurement and distribution plans, program material development, monitoring program staff and tracking of all Brighter Bites program components, data management and reporting.
- Monitors budget allocations.
- Develops, implements, and manages program policies and procedures.
- Interacts with the public and external organizations to facilitate program dissemination.
- Makes complex administrative decisions requiring a comprehensive knowledge of a wide range of regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Act as office manager for the Dallas Brighter Bites office.
- Informs upper management of key activities and makes periodic program evaluation, budget and progress reports.
In coordination with North Texas Food Bank Operations and program staff:
- Creates and manages calendar of Brighter Bites distributions, in conjunction with school sites and logistics partners.
- Works with North Texas Food Bank staff to plan for and secure available produce for program allocation.
- In coordination with Brighter Bites procurement staff, builds relationships with produce farmers and vendors across the region to supply additional donated produce and complete weekly program requirements.
Program Implementation Responsibilities
Ensure that host sites:
- Implements 16 weeks of programming during the school year and 8 weeks during the summer.
- Implements the CATCH curriculum and other nutrition education requirements.
- Hosts “fun food experiences” during weekly distributions.
- Desire and passion in working with a mission-driven organization.
- Stellar writing and interpersonal communication skills. You will often be the face of Brighter Bites in the community and with partners.
- Experience giving oral presentations is required.
- Master’s degree or higher in nutrition, public health, or a related field, or 5+ years of managerial experience in a similar setting.
- Experience managing a team of full-time employees.
- Strong project management skills, including a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience or clear passion for working with children, families, and diverse cultures.
- Comfort being managed remotely, reporting to multiple organizational stakeholders, and collaborating across departments and teams.
- Ability to adapt work style and behaviors to a variety of settings including office, warehouse, and community partner sites.
- Willingness to work flexible hours with some early morning (7am) or evening (6pm) work required.
- Willingness to lift and move produce-filled bags and boxes at distributions, ranging in weight from 10 to 50 lbs.
- Willingness to commute to multiple locations in the work day.
- Spanish proficiency preferred.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to
with “Dallas Program Director” in the subject line.