Dallas Children’s Theater
For over 35 years, Dallas Children’s Theater (DCT) has been astonishing kids and families with the fun of Broadway-like plays and a lot more! Named by Time magazine as one of the top 5 children’s theaters in the country, DCT is DFW’s only theater center committed to bringing literature to life for children year round. Each year, DCT’s devoted cast of professional artists and others expose more than 250,000 people to what is clearly one of the best educational and artistic experiences available. In addition, through hands-on workshops, substantive classroom curriculum, onstage performance and supplemental forums for discussion around tough themes such as bullying, learning differences, eating disorders and dating violence – to name a few—DCT provides kids and families with a safe, non-threatening environment in which to experience the performing arts and exchange important and character-building ideas at the same time.
We are seeking an experienced, motivated professional to provide leadership and support to DCT’s communications program. This position is responsible for the planning and implementation of publicity campaigns for all productions. Academy announcements, regional and national press and other theater events and initiatives. Working directly with the Director of Marketing and the Senior Director of Communications and Philanthropy as well as members of the artistic team and other key staff members, the position develops and nurtures media relations for the entire company, interfaces with peers at other arts and culture organizations, and serves as a liaison to the public to develop strong community relations. Qualified candidates must have: excellent written and verbal communication skills including editing and proofreading, and a deep understanding of the principles of public relations and how to use it effectively in video, social media and other modes. Candidates must be able to work nights and weekends as needed. Ideal candidates will be extremely creative, resourceful and self-motivated and possess strong computer dexterity. A high level of integrity and a commitment to representing DCT in a highly professional manner are required characteristics as well as an appreciation and passion for the cause of young people and the arts.
- Minimum 3 years experience in public relations, public affairs and communications;
- Bachelors degree in Marketing, Communications, Arts Administration or equivalent work experience;
- Must have an appreciation for the cause and respect for the principles of public relations and employ the highest ethical standards at all times;
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Strong understanding of best practices as it relates to social media messaging and proven track record of execution;
- Proven success in managing and forging relationships with members of the media;
- History of making decisions in a changing environment and anticipating future needs;
- Securing media impressions for mid-size organization;
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- Ability to remain focused and organized under multiple and tight deadlines.
- Experience supervising interns and establishing department guiding principles;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
To apply, email resume along with a cover letter that includes the following information: most challenging public relations/engagement assignment, proudest achievement in this regard, specific experience relevant to this position and salary range expectation along with a current writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org