SUMMARY: The Bridge is seeking a Housing Navigator identify suitable rental properties for our housing program. The applicant must be knowledgeable of the Dallas County rental market, HUD housing and subsidy regulations, and rental agreements. This position will work closely with our Care Management Staff and focus on all aspects of housing placement, including assisting in relocating guest when housing is obtained. This person will work to establish new possibilities for housing.
- Maintains a working relationship with local Housing Authorities, and property owners in order to expand housing opportunities for people experiencing homelessness
- Identifies appropriate housing options for guests, such as, subsidized housing Section 8, Shelter Plus Care, VASH, permanent supportive housing, affordable and market rate housing, and other housing opportunities
- Identifies landlords and property owners who have suitable properties available for rent to our guests
- Address barriers to landlord program participation
- Assists guests with housing applications, survey rental market for affordable housing, and advocate for guests with prospective landlords
- Represents the Bridge in community meetings that focus on housing
- Provide statistical information, as needed, that is related to housing
- Assures accurate documentation in all stages of the housing program and maintains guest related data tracking systems, including case notes and complete HMIS entries
- Attends all internal and external meetings requested by The Bridge leadership
- Coordinates guest moving in to housing through obtaining donations, coordinating movers
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be knowledgeable of the Dallas County residential rental market
- Must be or become knowledgeable of HUD housing subsidy requirements
- Must be an excellent communicator
- Must be able to speak to groups and represent the needs of housing and how it relates to the mission of The Bridge
- Must be able to multi-task, work unsupervised, meet goals, and communicate to Leadership
- Must be able to build relationships with our partners and remain professional
- Understanding of the challenges and barriers faced by our guest
- Must have knowledge of HUD housing habitability standards
- Experience in housing navigation preferred
- Knowledge of Texas landlord – tenant laws
- Compassion: Must have compassion for our population and able to show compassion in stressful and difficult situations.
- Interpersonal Skills: Must be able to make our guest feel comfortable in discussing sensitive issues.
- Organizational Skills: This position requires proper documentation and reporting is accurate and well documented. Paperwork needs to be properly filed and completed on time.
- Problem-solving Skills: Work with our Care Management team and housing partners to solve any issues that prevent housing placement.
- Time-Management Skills: This position will work with different staff and partners at the same time and must be able to manage time and multi-task and assure everyone is getting the attention they need.
- Bachelors’ degree (Masters’ preferred) in Business Management or a related field
- Experience in real estate leasing or sales desired
- Three to five years’ experience in homeless services with additional experience in coordinating housing referrals and placements preferred
- Automobile and current Texas Driver’s License with valid liability insurance is required