SUMMARY/PURPOSE OF POSITION
Founded in 1901, ChildCareGroup’s mission is to champion a strong early childhood system that teaches children and parents, trains early childhood professionals, and assists families.
Health/Inclusion Specialist (Mesquite) ensures the provision of Health and Inclusion Services to all assigned children enrolled in CCG Early Head Start Home-based and Family Child Care Programs and is accountable for ensuring that all local, state, and federal mandates for Health Services are met. Responsibilities include monitoring all health services including weekly assessments of immunizations, conducting health histories, making referrals, tracking medical and dental services and treatment, and participating and conducting trainings and meetings. This responsibility also includes timely coordination and documentation of medical and dental services for all children enrolled in the program. Functions as part of the Center Operations interdisciplinary team and serves as a member of the Health and Inclusion team. Work is performed under the collaborative direction of the Home-based program Manager and the Family Child Care Program Manager and under supported guidance of the Health/Inclusion Manager with some demand for independent judgment.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Health Services Component: Assists in planning and implementing the day-to-day operations of required Head Start Performance Standards and Service Delivery Plans addressing Health Services; Serves as resource person for parents needing referrals for medical/dental services, including health insurance
- Inclusion Services Component: Assists in planning and implementing the day-to-day operations of required Head Start Performance Standards and Service Delivery Plans addressing Inclusion Services; Serves as resource person for parents needing referrals for inclusion and mental health services, including health insurance
- Intakes/Medical Screenings: Obtains health histories of children during intake process and monitors health histories on an ongoing basis as needed; Conducts medical screenings of children as needed including: hemoglobin, blood pressure, hearing, vision, strabismus, height, weight, head circumference.
- Health Records Management: Maintains accurate child health records using the ChildPlus database; Conducts folder reviews of children record for health histories, parental concerns, and completes proper documentation within 45 calendar days of child’s entry; Coordinates medical assessments, dental examinations, developmental screenings & follow-up treatment of children in the program
- Training & Development: Coordinates and conducts health education and trainings for parents, children and staff; Participates in an active role with the Health Services Advisory Committee, annual Parent Fair, and Delegate meetings
- Reporting: Prepares Health/Inclusion Services Content Area monthly reports, center reports, tracking sheets, treatment timelines, quarterly United Way statistics, yearly hearing & vision reports, bi-monthly Health & Safety Checklist, and Head Start Program Information Report (PIR); Documents services for children and communication with families in a timely & accurate manner using ChildPlus database
- Database Maintenance: Requires the acquisition of knowledge and proficiency of the ChildPlus database within the introductory period of employment. ChildCareGroup will train the employee directly.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to uphold ChildCareGroup’s mission, vision and core values
- Skills/Abilities: Excellent oral and written communication skills required; Ability to work effectively with young children and their parents; Ability to deal with difficult situations in an effective manner and meet deadlines; Experience working with infant, toddler, and preschool children in a group setting preferred; Ability to carry out Head Start policies and procedures in an effective and positive manner; Must demonstrate ability to work as a team member; Regular and prompt attendance required.
- Experience: One-year experience required; CPR and First Aid Certification required; Some experience with providing training to parents and staff preferred; Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and the internet required
- Experience and Skills Required:
- Equipment Used: Computer, fax, scanner and all office equipment
- Education: State certified/registered Medical, Nurse, or Dental Assistant preferred; Associate degree in Health Services, Licensed Vocational Nurse, or related field preferred
Other desired skills:
- Attends staff meetings, seminars, conferences, staff development training and professional trainings when scheduled or assigned (i.e. case management, center & team meetings, local coalition meetings)
- Coordinates transportation for medical/dental services for children, as needed
- Maintains positive rapport with staff, parents, children, and community partners
- Assists with special projects and perform other duties as assigned
Supervision Received – position reports to Health/Inclusion Manager; indirect to Home-based Program Manager and Family Child Care Program Manager
Supervision Given – None
- Must have a valid Texas driver's license with driving record acceptable to CCG's automobile insurance carrier, liability insurance coverage and own transportation available.
- Work requires normal physical effort, visual attention, manual dexterity or coordination. Any lifting restricted to items or children weighing less than 25 pounds.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Physical: Work requires normal physical effort with any lifting restricted to items weighing less than 25 pounds; visual attention; manual dexterity/coordination.
Cognitive/Mental: Ability to produce content/copy and accurately edit documents; focus; have attention to details; coordinate and manage numerous tasks simultaneously; prioritize and meet deadlines; maintain positive attitude and ability cope with stressful situations and the public.
Environment: Comfortable work environment with pleasant atmosphere.
Contacts: Position may have contact with a variety of internal and external customers, including but not limited to volunteers, funders, community organizations, CCG Board Members, parents, providers, media personnel, vendors, and all levels of staff.
ChildCareGroup is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE at www.childcaregroup.org