Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Dallas, Texas
Position Summary: The Executive Director of Faith and Grief Ministries oversees the administration, programs and strategic planning of the organization. Other key duties include development, marketing and community outreach. The Executive Director reports directly to the personnel committee to support the mission, values and vision of the organization.
Mission, Culture, and History of Faith & Grief Ministries
Our mission is to provide opportunities for comfort and hope to those who have experienced the death of a loved one. Opportunities include a national network of monthly support gatherings, workshops and retreats and a Memorial Arch (see website for details) each December in Dallas, Texas.
In all that we do, we value:
• Gifts of all spiritual beliefs
• Community that understands the complexity of grief
• Compassion revealed in silence, tears and laughter
• Stories that speak truth and promote wholeness
In 2007, the Reverend Wendy Fenn served as spiritual director at Faith Presbyterian Hospice and the Reverend Dr. Fran Shelton served as associate pastor for congregational care at Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church. These two Presbyterian pastors met through their extensive ministry and service to individuals and families who were in the process of grief and mourning. Both desired to offer comfort and encouragement to those they encountered. In addition, both were eager for congregations and faith-based service organizations to work collaboratively rather than competitively.
Their collaborative work, approved and supported by their employers, enabled the launch of Faith & Grief Luncheons on April 15, 2008, at Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church in Dallas, Texas. Sharon Balch, a corporate manager, began volunteering at the luncheons. In July, 2011, Balch, Fenn and Shelton formed a 501(c)3 to serve more individuals. In 2019 over 5000 persons were served – 1646 through monthly gatherings, workshops and retreats; 1832 remembered loved ones at the 4th Annual Memorial Arch; and volunteers clocked 4547 hours (equivalent to 2.2 full-time employees) in support of Faith & Grief Ministries.
Hours: This is a part time position at 25 hours per week.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves as the active and visible leader of Faith & Grief Ministries in current service areas and beyond reflecting Faith & Grief Ministries values.
• Demonstrates a dynamic life of faith, integrity and a high-standard of ethics.
• Aligns the vision and mission of the Board of Directors into SMART goals (1-5 years) to assure growth and sustainability of ministry.
• Develops annual budget and establishes oversight of budget and ministry deliverables through appropriate management platforms.
• Guides and directs the Program Director and other staff (6-9 contract employees) in the implementation of strategic goals with emphasis on participant satisfaction, as well as forecasts priority of future staffing to meet needs of participants.
• Assists the Board of Directors in development by nurturing existing donors, connecting with potential donors and obtaining grant opportunities to carry out the mission.
• Educates and cultivates new Board Members .
Experience and Education
• Bachelor’s Degree minimum; higher level of education preferred.
• Personal and professional knowledge of bereavement.
• Professional experience in non-profit and corporate business.
• Strong and proven leadership skills and experience in supervision of staff.
• Budget and finance development.
First Year Deliverables
• Develop implementation plan and begin course of action.
• Analyze and recommendation of software to track program and development growth with assistance of ROI (Return on Investment) Institute, Birmingham, AL.
• Oversee current budget and develop future budget.
• Design format for use in supervision of contract staff and guide staff in setting personal and professional goals.
• Work with the Board of Directors to streamline and focus efforts and resources.
• Meet with donors, potential donors, and secular and religious groups
How to apply: Please email a letter of interest, resume and contact information for professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls, please.