Job Title: Director of Finance
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reports To: Executive Director
The Director of Finance will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Temple’s accounting and finance functions. The Director of Finance works with the Executive Director on preparing and administering the annual operating budget, is responsible for, the Foundation funds, human resources, benefits, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, collections, debt service, treasury functions, investment management, employee retirement plans, monthly financial reporting and oversight of the annual independent audit process. The Director of Finance is also expected to recommend strategic changes to processes and systems that will keep the Finance Department at the leading edge of quality and efficiency.
This position is accountable for the financial operations of the Temple, including the development of financial strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve assets and report accurate financial results. Additionally, the Director of Finance is responsible for the accounting operations of the Temple, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and ensure that reported results comply with GAAP.
The Director of Finance oversees the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the Temple’s goals and objectives.
The Director of Finance is expected to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with our bank, our investment advisors, our audit firm and various insurance and benefits providers.
To be successful in this position, the individual must be very detail oriented, extremely organized, a team player, possess a high energy level and be able to operate well in a busy environment. In addition, it is essential that this individual have mathematics proficiency, a proven ability to initiate ideas and follow through on tasks, be an excellent communicator and possess the interpersonal skills to work well with a variety of volunteer and staff leaders. Proficiency in Blackbaud and Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel) is necessary; familiarity with ABM.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all accounting and financial aspects of the organization while supervising accounting staff
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information with actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations to the Executive Director, Financial Oversight Committee and Board of Trustees
- Continue to enhance the functionality of current accounting and CRM systems, and implement a new budgeting/forecasting tool.
- Prepare monthly financial reporting package that includes a financial statement, budget vs. actual comparison, fund report and account analysis
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Coordinate with outside accountants for the completion of an annual certified audit, financial statements and other reporting as is required
- Maintain and review general ledger and all subsidiary ledgers of the Temple and Schools
- Maintain accurate accounting for fund balancing, including management-designated cash and investments for future capital improvements and donor-restricted investments
- Collaborate with department heads to develop monthly and annual budgets as well as regular forecast updates throughout the year
- Oversee AR management and provide support for collections activities for the Temple and Schools
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
- Analyze annual fundraising, endowment and pledged funds
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- CPA required
- MBA preferred
- 10-15 years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or not-for-profit organization preferred
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other accounting software
- Independent, self-starter with the ability to plan and prioritize work schedule
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to details with an analytical ability to ensure the accuracy of financial information
- Ability to effectively present financial data and information to Senior Management
To apply, please send both a cover letter and resume directly to email@example.com for consideration