The Episcopal Foundation of Dallas exists to strengthen and support faith communities by partnering wise investments with purposeful giving. The Foundation is organized as a separate 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization. Founded in 1950, the Foundation has been faithfully advising on ways to grow and maximize the financial gifts that have been entrusted to our diocesan community. The Foundation offers investment services to the diocesan community and direct financial support through our annual grant program.
Controller Job Description
Areas of responsibility include all accounting duties related to the Foundation’s financial operations and investment partner reporting. The Controller reports to the Executive Director and deals directly with investment partners, as needed. The Controller position requires 20 hours per week and offers flex hours and the ability to work from home. There are no benefits.
- Strong Excel skills and working knowledge of QuickBooks.
- Familiarity with investment and performance reporting.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills. Attention to detail.
- Familiarity with IRS and GAAP requirements for non-profits, especially private foundations and supporting organizations.
- Personable, friendly attitude benefiting investment partner and Trustee relations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Flexibility to deal with variable assignments and time commitments.
- College degree, with Accounting major preferred. CPA with audit experience preferred.
- Prior non-profit experience preferred.
- Access to transportation. Trips for signatures, investment partner meetings, board meetings, etc. are required.
- Ability to work from home or office, in coordination with the Executive Director. Computer and required office equipment and supplies will be provided
- Maintain accounting and investment partner files including appropriate documentation for deposits, distribution requests, grants, and investment partner accounts.
- Reconcile all bank and investment accounts monthly.
- Maintain a proper accounting of all investment partner accounts, prepare investment partner statements and respond to investment partner requests for information including audit confirmation requests.
- Prepare quarterly financial reporting package for Investment Committee and Board meetings. Attend meetings to review financials, as needed.
- Oversee the payroll function and reporting including filing all payroll-related tax returns.
- Maintain vendor files and annual 1099 reporting.
- Coordinate the annual audit, prepare all schedules and documents requested, and be available during fieldwork.
- Update financial documents available on the Foundation’s website as needed including the annual tax return and annual audited financial statement uploads.
- Coordinate preparation and review of the annual Form 990 tax return.
- Maintain written accounting policies and job descriptions.
- Respond to all phone calls and emails promptly.
- Attend annual TXCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference in May to stay apprised of changing regulations.
- Help develop, implement and oversee documents destruction policy.
- Prepare calculation for required distributions for two annual grant programs
Daily, or as required:
- Process investment partner requests for withdrawals (received by mail or email).
- Monitor cash levels to assure adequate funds are in the operating account for operations and in the money market account to fund investment partner distributions.
- Reconcile all bank accounts and investment statements.
- Prepare monthly allocation of investment earnings and reconciliation of pooled investment accounts via Excel Spreadsheet.
- Generate and email monthly investment partner statements (this is a courtesy statement provided to several larger investment partners that have requested monthly updates.)
- Record monthly entries to record investment activity, contributions and distributions in the general ledger and reconcile general ledger balances to investment balances.
- Monitor investment asset allocation percentages and report to Executive Director if allocation varies from guideline minimums or maximums.
- Assure timely payroll tax deposits are made.
- Pay bills and process payroll.
- Generate and email quarterly investment partner statements of account.
- Create and distribute the quarterly performance package for investment partners
- Prepare financial reports for the Investment Committee and the Board of Trustees quarterly meetings.
- Compute and disburse quarterly income distributions.
- Compute quarterly advisory fee income due the Foundation and transfer funds to the Foundation’s operating checking account, as needed.
- Prepare and file quarterly payroll tax returns, Form 941.
Annually, or as required:
- Prepare annual budget.
- Coordinate annual audit and preparation of Form 990 with outside audit firm.
- Respond to annual confirmation requests from investment partners.
- Compute amount available for the annual grant program using the Foundation’s Spending Guideline.
- Keep payroll records and prepare annual payroll returns including annual W-2s.
- Prepare and file 1099s annually, as required.