St. Mark’s School of Texas seeks an experienced Director of Communications. This full-time position reports to the Assistant Headmaster for External Affairs and is responsible for developing a strategic marketing and communications plan for the School that supports the mission and the vision of the School. The Director is responsible for developing, managing, and executing marketing and communications initiatives, as well as integrating a broad range of public relations, marketing, and communications activities. This position will interact significantly with all constituents including the students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, and other members of the community. Additional management responsibilities include the development of all integrated communications, marketing products, and services for internal and external media, including newsletters, print publications, website management, news, social media, press releases, and other digital communications.
- Serve as the lead marketing and communications executive, articulating the School’s vision and image across all media to ensure a consistent, positive brand and message of excellence.
- Plan and oversee all design, execution, management, and production of print and digital communications for the School, to include though not limited to, articles for press, photos, and videos of events, faculty and student recruitment, social media content, website content, and various print pieces.
- Serve as editor of The Pride Responsible for deciding the theme and major stories for each issue and managing the writing and editing process.
- Support development and fundraising activities and work closely with the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, as well as school-wide administration and programming.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, develop a practical and strategic marketing/communications plan to identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities.
- Work proactively to identify new marketing/communications opportunities, challenges, and emerging issues to be imminently faced by the School and make recommendations for action.
- Lead and supervise three full-time staff engaged in marketing/communications activities to ensure a coherent and internal and external set of messaging and communications platforms.
- Manage vendor relations, including but not limited to printers, photographers, freelancers, and videographers.
Qualifications and Skills
- An extremely well-organized, detail-oriented individual who has a high energy level together with an accompanying sense of urgency.
- Bright, hard-working, and enthusiastic with a serious commitment to excellence.
- Industrious, independent-minded, and determined, with a drive to achieve results.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Entrepreneurial and highly motivated, with the ability to transmit passion to and through others.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to deal effectively with a wide range of constituents, including those at very senior levels.
- A person of unquestioned integrity who has an impeccable reputation, who honors commitments, and who deals with people in a straightforward and personal way.
- An accessible and approachable people person with a good sense of humor.
- Self-confident and secure in one’s achievements without seeking or requiring recognition.
- Someone who responds well to criticism and deals successfully with difficult and challenging people and circumstances.
- Ability to work comfortably in a collaborative environment.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
- Experience in a departmental leadership role, with responsibility for the management of staff.
- Five or more years of experience in marketing/communications roles, preferably in education.
- Experience with strategic management of a brand and its voice through diverse media to generate results.
- Experience in managing operating budgets.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Knowledge of online tools is a plus (HTML, Blackbaud, Constant Contact, Social Media, etc.).
Qualified applicants should visit our website to apply including a letter of interest and resume.