United Way is a community-based social change organization that puts opportunity in the hands of all North Texans in Collin, Dallas, southern Denton, and Rockwall Counties. United Way partners with hundreds of corporations, philanthropic organizations, educational institutions, nonprofit service providers, city and state government entities and representatives, advocates, and community leaders to improve education, income, and health – the building blocks of opportunity. United Way leverages our resources and networks to bring the best people, ideas, and projects together to create lasting change. Together, we believe we can build a future in which all North Texans, regardless of race or zip code, have the opportunity and access to achieve their full potential.
United Way of Metropolitan Dallas is fully committed in all aspects of our work to becoming a fully inclusive, multicultural, antiracist organization. Those who share in this commitment and who are willing to actively engage antiracist ideas, behaviors, and actions are invited to apply for open positions.
The Director of Accounting maintains internal control safeguards, manages all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Serves as a management resource performing internal and external financial statement preparation in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for non-profit organizations. The Director of Accounting is a key participant in supervising or performing the day-to-day operations of the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, revenue and expense areas.
· Prepare and publish timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP) for non-profit organizations.
· Ensure ledgers and reporting systems comply with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
· Oversee and maintain accounting records, including chart of accounts, account setup, allocation and distribution setup, vendor setup, general ledgers, journal entries, payments of allocations, designations and distributions, payment of vendors, bank reconciliations, and solution of technical problems. Responsible for aspects of general ledger processing, i.e., accounts receivable, accounts payable, revenue, and general ledger.
· Ensure internal controls are in place to protect the organization’s assets.
· Provide informative reports to meet the needs of the UWMD and UWFMD Committees.
· Coordinate all audit activities and IRS Form 990s for the UWMD and UWFMD, including preparing account reconciliations and pulling source documents for auditor review.
Lead projects such as, but not limited to:
- Accounting and tax research
- GAAP update research & implementation
- Compliance with governmental regulations
- Policies & procedures revisions/updates
· Tracks, reports and reconciles sponsorship and grant revenues and related expenditures to ensure that both are accurately recorded in the general ledger and the Salesforce donor database and are spent in compliance with donor intent.
· Assist with training and development to fulfill the objectives and responsibilities of the department in an effective and efficient manner, consistent with organizational strategic plan.
· Develops, communicates, and coordinates UMWD’s Document Retention policy with other departments. Maintains original copies of all contracts entered into by the organization.
· All other duties as required.
To perform the job successfully, competitive applicants should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Mission-Focused: Create real social change that leads to improving lives in our community.
- Relationship-Oriented: Is able to communicate effectively to develop, grow and sustain productive relationships. Knows how to capture and record relevant information and how to interpret and utilize the information to forge partnerships, collaborate, cultivate, grow, sustain, and strengthen internal and external relationships.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad impact.
- Stewards: Our actions, behaviors, and decisions on behalf of our donors must be transparent, meet the highest ethical standards, and align with organizational goals.
Education: Undergraduate Degree in Accounting required
CPA or actively pursuing CPA certification
Experience: Five years of experience in accounting role; non-profit experience preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to ethics
· Leads with a mindset of continuous improvement and has ability to identify and deploy process improvements in a fast-paced operating environment
· Self-driven, highly motivated and flexible
· Ability to work well under pressure, meet prescribed deadlines and handle multiple assignments simultaneously
· Effective analytical and problem-solving skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key information, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
· Strong GAAP accounting knowledge
· Strong understanding of internal control environment and systems
· Outstanding computer proficiency (Microsoft Office, general ledger application, fundraising application)
· Familiarity with Salesforce CRM and Sage Intacct helpful but not required
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor, payroll, and other sensitive information of the organization
· Displays organizational values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, Excellence, Adaptability and Initiative
Please apply online: www.unitedwaydallas.org