Church of the Incarnation is committed to building Christ’s kingdom by worshipping God in the Great Tradition of the Church, making disciples of Jesus Christ, serving the poor, and raising up leaders for the renewal of the Church locally, nationally, and internationally.
The Controller reports to the COO and is accountable to the Rector, Vice Rector, Vestry, Finance Committee, and Outsourced CFO. The Controller supervises the finance unit on site and directly assists the Chief Operating Officer (COO), Vice Rector, and Outsourced CFO on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, and forecasting needs.
The Controller will oversee budgeting, cash flow, and accounting with these specific key responsibilities:
- Serve as internal consultant to the Outsourced CFO, COO, Rector, Vice Rector, and Finance Committee of the Vestry on all financial matters, making recommendations and suggesting pro-active strategies to keep Incarnation and its subsidiaries on track.
- Manage all budgets, forecasts, and internal financial plans and processes.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and ensure a disaster recovery plan is in place.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with granted funds assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations.
- Support accounting, general ledger, and operations functions, ensuring that systems are in place to guarantee timeliness and accuracy.
- Build relationships with banks, donors, vendors, and outside consultants
- Build an internal finance team by actively recruiting, training, and developing talented accountants, analysts, consultants, auditors, as needed.
- Provide the COO with an operating budget. Work with the COO to ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Monitor banking activities of the church and its subsidiaries.
- Ensure adequate cash management.
- Ensure controls are followed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits.
- Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as needed to monitor, evaluate and optimize cash-flow and liquidity.
- Coordinate the distribution of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to Incarnation Foundation and Vestry, development and monitoring of all budget and nonbudget funds.
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Management
- CPA required; nonprofit accounting experience required
- At least 2-3 years of financial leadership experience including direct report(s)
- At least 5 years of experience total accounting/finance experience
- Experience at integrating IT/Systems to improve accounting productivity and accuracy
- Experience at working with external auditors, compliance, and regulatory oversight
- Commitment to results; outstanding problem-solving ability
- Experience at change leadership and change management
- Strong motivational and staff leadership abilities
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of Office Suite and Excel and familiarity with ChMS databases like FellowshipOne
- Positive attitude and positive approach to problem solving
- Takes initiative
- Genuine servant-hood, Gospel-centeredness, and spiritual maturity that results in good communication skills with ministry leaders, clergy, staff, and parishioners