- Maintains accounting records, prepares accounting entries, and works with the Accounting Supervisor to manage the month-end close with direct responsibility for fixed asset or inventory accounting, preparation and/or review of reconciliations, trial balance, or financial statements.
- Performs budget to actual and period-to-period fluctuations as required by the CEO, CFO, Finance Committee, or Board.
- Reviews monthly census and financial reports, leads monthly departmental finance meetings, gathers data to prepare variance explanations and corrective actions, prepares written presentation of results to CPO, CEO and CFO, and works with Program Directors, Program Executive Directors, CFO, CPO, and CEO on solutions/recommendations for change, including follow up on issues until resolved.
- Recommends, develops, and implements use of census, financial, and payroll reports to improve financial, budget, and forecast performance including any incentive or accountability reporting and tracking.
- Prepares or manages and reviews the preparation of monthly banking reports, cash flow projections, and VOA Inc. reporting (including affiliate fees monitoring.)
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of cost reports and audit documentation requests as required by various funding sources.
- Prepares documentation for annual independent audit/funding source audits to ensure a clean and timely audit result; manages the annual audit; coordinates 990 preparation with independent auditor.
- Acts as liaison between finance department and programs, giving direction, as appropriate, to service program personnel.
- Advises, trains, and coaches Department Directors on annual budget preparation and monthly forecast; manages preparation of annual budget and monthly forecast, monitoring monthly results.
- Develops and/or works with HR and/or Training Coordinator to develop training materials for program staff on finances, budget, forecast, or other accounting related issues.
- Assists the CFO in funding source compliance matters.
- Ensures optimization of billing and/or reimbursement requests to funding sources, in accordance with the stipulations of the awards.
- Reviews and evaluates automated and manual business systems, practices and procedures for compliance to funding source requirements; makes recommendations for enhancements and improvements.
- Attends Board or conducts Finance Committee meetings in the absence of the CFO, presenting financial reports and analysis.
- Ensures management of the program’s resources within budget.
- Assists in preparation/uploading/importing of budgets and assisting the Program Directors’ understanding/clarity as needed.
- Reviews and approves expenditures within budgetary guidelines.
- Within the scope of responsibility, adheres to budget guidelines, including expenditures, billing for services, P-Card documentation, etc.
- Supervises, supports, motivates, and empowers the members of his/her team.
- Ensures that all departmental human resources responsibilities are met: hiring, firing, staff training, career development, succession planning, equal employment opportunity, health and safety issues, evaluations and performance management for all staff operating each of the distinct programs.
- Promotes an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, teamwork, and a common organizational vision.