This position is responsible for overseeing and managing compliance and audits within the organization, ensuring compliance with both government grant and regulatory requirements.
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Develop and implement the agency’s compliance program ensuring activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws, including HIPAA, OSHA, Medicaid/Medicare, and other standards established for compliance.
- Act as organization’s HIPAA Privacy Officer including the following: develop, maintain, and train on HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures to ensure staff compliance with current federal and state laws and regulations. Ensure retention of records and documents as required by law.
- Conducts internal reviews so as to prepare for external program audits from such organizations as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), HRSA Office of Pharmacy Affairs (OPA), Office of Inspector General (OIG), and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Direct methods to improve efficiency and quality of services and to reduce vulnerability to fraud and abuse; i.e. conduct periodic reviews, developing effective lines of communication on compliance issues with directors of programs, and preparing, maintaining, implementing, and disseminating written practice standards and procedures. Examine established policies, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with grant requirements. Report information on the activities of the compliance program to executives.
- Manages organization’s compliance-related programs, such as compliance training for employees, consultants, contractors, and volunteers, compliance testing and reporting, disaster recovery, contingency planning and record warehousing and destruction.
- Investigate complaints from the Compliance Hotline and other sources as delegated by the Compliance Officer.
- Investigates compliance concerns with appropriate support staff and acting on any report or allegation of unethical or improper conduct or business practices and implementing and monitoring appropriate corrective action and/or subsequent compliance, including conferring with human resources representative regarding the enforcement of employee disciplinary action.
- Ensures all grants requirements are being met as outlines by the standards governing the programs.
- Serves as a point of contact for external grants management officers and grant program monitors, and works with COO to facilitate all site visits and audits in order to ensure program reviews are conducted effectively and efficiently.
- Attend healthcare compliance related meetings and events to stay current and to form collaborative partnerships.
- Keep current on operational and other organizational changes to determine any compliance program impact.
- Stays abreast of changes to regulations, updates compliance program and appropriate procedures as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work within the broad framework of health and human services programs.
- Capable of working well with a multi-disciplinary team of executives, managers, staff, and community partners.
- Ability to provide professional leadership and supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to make logistical decisions and solve problems.
- Excellent organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.