Under supervision, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing communication programs that inform, engage and motivate our faculty, staff, students and supporters of St. Philips School & Community Center. They will coordinate timelines for several in-house and external communications, as well as work on a diverse scope of cross functional projects within the realm of Communications, Marketing and Public Relations. The Communications Specialist will support the voice of our organization internally, ensuring it is consistent and effective throughout all communications.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications or related field
- 1+ years of related experience in journalism, communications, marketing or public
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite and Google Suite
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign is a plus
- Experience with a website content management system
- Basic knowledge of photography and photo editing skills
- Video production/editing skills is a plus
- Working knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage project initiation as requests are received from departments or external partners and see projects to completion
- Assist departments with their communication efforts and make recommendations to make sure that all initiatives are executed in the most effective way
- Write, edit, proofread, format, and schedule communications to ensure topic and writing style are accurate and on brand. Includes but not limited to website content, monthly newsletter, emails, press releases and speeches
- Work in collaboration with other departments to produce bi-annual magazine
- Prepare and manage weekly status report
- Build and maintain strong relationships cross departmentally
- Collaborate inter-departmentally to discover and create content to write impactful, engaging brand stories
- Collaborate daily with members of the Communications team in coordinating monthly social media plan as well as examining Google and social media analytics
- Collaborate with members of the Communications team to capture photos and videos for use in both print and digital platforms
- Assist Director of Communications with development and creation of annual communication plans
- Work closely with the executive leadership team and department heads to keep abreast of company developments and trends that require universal communication.
- Participate in team brainstorming sessions and projects that require creativity and
- Perform other duties as assigned within role of Communications Department
Additional Skills and Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess the noted skills below AND an enthusiastic spirit and mindset for learning, growing and adaptability to environment.
• Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
• Self-motivated and proactive with a strong work ethic, and ability to work both independently and as a part of team.
• Detailed orientated with strong organizational, project management skills as well as highly collaborative style.
• Ability to develop impactful brand stories that include but are not limited to topics related to students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, community engagement and philanthropy
• Detailed oriented with excellent project management skills and ability to multi-task.
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills in order to work alongside other teams, as well as the ability to explain processes and techniques effectively to all levels of employees (including senior leadership).
• Possess the innate ability to bring creativity to every project and task, always thinking outside the box, pushing the envelope and offering fresh, innovative and trending ideas.
• Skilled in working with a variety of software and platforms with the ability to quickly learn internal platforms: Intranets, CMS, blogs, Giving Fuel (donation site), Constant Contact, Eventbrite, Sign-Up Genius, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite [InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop], Microsoft Office [Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook], etc.
- Flexible schedule
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Person must exhibit manual dexterity, hear and understand speech at normal levels; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com. Subject line: COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST