Read Fort Worth is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our county. We seek to accomplish this ambitious goal by gathering research and data, listening to community input, and mobilizing data into action. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource. We are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by improving the systems within which they go to school and learn. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact. Learn more about us at www.ReadFortWorth.org.
The High Level
The Communications Manger works directly with the Executive Director to create and implement the overarching communication strategy to meet the organization’s strategic communications goals. The strategic communication plan encompasses two broad strategies: 1) Elevating the organization’s brand and reputation through our communication platforms, and 2) Boosting the success of our literacy initiatives in key constituent groups.
The Manager must have exceptional professional standards, keen attention to detail in design and messaging, and intentionality to our communication strategy and brand. As a trusted advisor and strategic thought partner to the Executive Director, the Manager is a senior leader who catalyzes growth, elevates the Read Fort Worth brand, and is a savvy relationship builder.
Implement the organization’s strategic communication strategy to engage multiple audiences
- Manage Read Fort Worth’s branding standards and assure consistency across all internal and external communication platforms
- Establish communication benchmarks and growth targets that are reported to the Executive Director
- Define key metrics and goals to track effectiveness of communications strategies
- Use data to inform your thinking on recommended communication strategies
- Provide strategic thought partnership and recommendations to Executive Director on how to grow the organization’s success and capacity in this area
Drive external relations to elevate our brand in the community.
- Manage all earned and paid media serving as the primary point of contact for media seeking information, interviews, or other support
- Draft news releases and pitch media coverage of achievements, success stories, and data outcomes
- Oversee all external communications ensuring persuasive and compelling messaging, campaigns, and alignment
- Write Read Fort Worth Bright Spot articles that lift-up positive aspects in our education data to highlight success
Manage Read Fort Worth’s communication platforms: website, social media, blog, and newsletter
- Manage all owned media including website, newsletters, blog, social media, print publications, digital presentations, and event experiences
- Design creative graphics and relevant content on all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), website, and newsletter
- Demonstrate familiarity with and a willingness to learn the platforms we use: graphic design Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Website Management (WordPress, Elementor, and Google Analytics), Mailchimp, and Survey Monkey
- Manage communications calendar of when messaging is sent via these platforms, coordinating with staff to gather appropriate and timely content for each platform, and set metrics to increase engagement
Other duties as needed
Essential Competencies for Success
- Strong graphic design eye and demonstrated ability to use graphic design tools and platforms
- Keen attention to detail in grammar, spelling, and punctuation with precision in all external content
- Heightened sense of urgency for perfection of content and design
- Deliver convincing messaging and demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with external stakeholders
- Quickly establish credibility when promoting Read Fort Worth, particularly as the media liaison
- Demonstrated ability to lead social media strategies and content generation
- Deliver upon measurable and timebound communication goals
- Passion for Read Fort Worth’s mission and determination to ensure our children have every opportunity for success
- Strong work-ethic, self-motivated, and hold yourself to exceptional standards of professionalism
- Sense of urgency for the work
- Trustworthy, reliable, dependable, and quick responses on communication
- Ask clarifying questions when you don’t understand or need more information
- Seek continuous improvement and strive for personal growth so that you can further contribute to the team
- Takes initiative, gets started on tasks without being asked, and brings forth solutions to problems that arise
- Resilient, determined, and disciplined in your work
- Bring joy to the work we do!
- Have 4+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in graphic design tools and platforms used at Read Fort Worth
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
What we offer
- Full benefits package: Health care, retirement, professional development stipend, and lifestyle benefits, including flexible work location, and paid time off
- A competitive salary commensurate with experience
- We commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us
- Travel: Occasional travel in and around Fort Worth and Tarrant County may be necessary
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit for certain periods of time, bend and stoop occasionally, have the necessary ability to use a keyboard and lift up to 10 pounds
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment
Read Fort Worth provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
What’s Next? If you are interested in joining our Read Fort Worth team, please submit a resume and cover letter that describes your interest and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs. Submit materials to Elizabeth Brands, Executive Director, Read Fort Worth at firstname.lastname@example.org.